Thread: Bach Partita 2 Allemande

Default Bach Partita 2 Allemande

One of my favorites from the violin suites, I was working on this one and while checking out different versions I could not help but remark on the difference in presentation between these two.

Avi Avitals is very stately, evenly centered and closer to most violin versions I encountered.

While Caterina Lichtenberg's seems "italian" to me, she seems to focus more on dynamic expression and manipulating the tone of the instrument.

I like them both very much, my own playing is more in Avi's style, but I am interested in incorporating some of Caterina's right hand ideas in as well.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

2. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Default Re: Bach Partita 2 Allemande

Fascinating comparing the two, both great. I completely agree, Avi's version is phrased very much the way a modern violinist would do it (makes sense considering that he essentially was trained as a violinist on mandolin). Caterina takes a much more expansive view of the rhythms, she takes a little time on the first note of the triplets compared to the other two and she does the eighth and two sixteenth figures a little faster than her base tempo, all phrased beautifully, of course, just not as even as Avi takes them. I lean more towards Avi's violinistic approach, but Caterina's technique and tone are impeccable, as always. I've been playing this movement for a long time, I'd be thrilled to play it anywhere near as well as either of them!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken_P For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bach Partita 2 Allemande

Thanks, I hadn't come across the C.L. video. Sometimes when I play this movement I'm tempted to take the same kind of license with the rhythm that she does, and wondered whether I 'should'.

It occurs to me that these two versions also play to strengths of the different instruments - the stateliness of AA's performance suits the Kerman, which has more solidity, or even gravitas, than the airier tone of the Woll.

6. The following members say thank you to tom.gibson for this post: