Thread: Howdy Folks!

Default Howdy Folks!

I signed up here about 15 years ago when I bought my F9 when a local store went belly up for 40% off. I couldn't remember the name I used so I rejoined.
    Took me years to get dedicated to playing it. I couldn't sell it for $1,500 abput 5 years ago so I sat down and got to work.
    Then at Joe Craven's River Tunes Camp someone handed me their Custom F-5G.
    Haunted me ever since.
    I added a Tone-Gard soon after and have been pleased with the improvement along with the proper pick and placement.

I am thinking about getting an F-5G.
    I'd have to sell my F9 to afford it.

Any tips you'd like to share?

Thanks,

Matt in Bakersfield

Blog Entries

Default Re: Howdy Folks!

Hey Matt, what year is your F-9? That will make a difference in resale value and in how easy it is to sell.

I'm also curious about why you're interested in an F-5G. My impressions have been that the jump from a used F-9 to an F-5G of the same year might cost a lot, and even more so for a new F-5G, but that it may not be a huge difference from how the F-9 sounds or can be setup to play. Other F-5 models would of course cost more, but they might sound better and might also keep their value better.

As a 2002 F-9 owner, I've decided to stay with the F-9 and work on technique for the improvement in sound, along with having a few personally selected customizations professionally done.

But everyone has to find the right fit with their personal instruments, so there's nothing wrong with shopping around.

I wish you the best in your search!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

May 5th 2008?
    I guess I got it 13 years ago.

4. The following members say thank you to Matt Sarad for this post:

Has it had a visit to one of the recognized luthiers around here, maybe time for new nut/bridge, level frets, etc.

A f9 (orA9) nicely set up and played in shd be able to hang with anything, the thinner finish might help tone but require a litte more care. That's per this thread including Dave Harvey who knows something about them (and were introduced 2002): https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-the-Gibson-F9
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Thanks. I read that before I started my thread.
    I've 0layed to F-5G models. Warmer, darker tone that appealed to me. My F9 can certainly cut through. It's much brighter than either F5-G I played.
    My challenge here in Bakersfield is no on seems to want a guitar player who has made the jump to mandolin. My electric bands don't have a place for mandolin.
    Craig Wilson is building fine mandolins that start at $5,500.
    Paul Barton left town for the Central Coast a few years ago.
    Monday night Monthly sessions are mostly
    Mediocre pickers on all instruments, perfect for me as a I learn.
    The real guys don't bother showing.

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving playing my mandolin, especially over the last 15 months, but I'm mostly known as a banjo player among the folks that I play with, and I'm also lately known as a double bassist for roots, old-jazz and rockabilly.

If I were in Bakersfield and surrounded by the multitude of electric country/western/Rock&Roll flavor bands in that area, I'd be pressing seriously forward with the double bass, which amps extremely well when necessary, and plays very well among many, many genre.

To be fair, mandolin is multi-genre also, but the number of successful mandolin role-model pros in most electric genre is very low, and as such so is demand.

That said, with the number of companies that are recently making electric mandolins, maybe soon we'll begin seeing some role-model pro players among the popular electric bands.

We can hope.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Nothing to add, but I think I recall your original posts about getting a tremendous deal on the then-fairly-new F9 model.
    Maybe your original login name was "Lucky Duck."
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold