Thread: Danelectro

Default Re: Danelectro

Presumably topped/backed with the best quality “Masonite”; or “hardboard” as we call it in the UK - the guitars certainly were.

I think it is Masonite. I have read several articles about Danelectro and find the story facinating. One article contains Andres Segoiva's postiive assessment of the Danelectro classical guitar. I do not find much about the Bellzouki.

$2K for it?? Rare, for sure, but Danelectros weren't noted for their construction or materials. People playing Danno electrics now seem to be after the "ol' garage band" vibe, or the particular lipstick-tube pickup sound.

Now, were it a Coral electric sitar, that would be something...

And I should mention that I did see a Univox electric 12-string, purchased with my SP5 army pay on a whim and traded in, sell almost immediately to a Greek musician who wanted "something he could tune like a bouzouki." So there's a buyer somewhere for every instrument -- though maybe not at $2K.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The originals were built a few miles from where I live by a company owned by a friends Uncle. I find it really fascinating when you consider Revlon was close by making lipstick and the company that made the cases for the lipstick was local as well. Kind of like we need a case for the pickups and someone said well, we have the tooling to make these already.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The originals were built a few miles from where I live by a company owned by a friends Uncle. I find it really fascinating when you consider Revlon was close by making lipstick and the company that made the cases for the lipstick was local as well. Kind of like we need a case for the pickups and someone said well, we have the tooling to make these already.
    That's exactly what happened per the book "Neptune Bound".

While the asking price on the Vinnie Bell model might be high, those are relatively rare from what I've seen over the years. They also have a very unique sound with the bridge pickup so close to the bridge. Oh, and whoever buys it will never get back the time it takes to restring those, the string balls sit in notches cut out in the bridge. An absolute monster to re-string. (The electric basses were just as bad, but I loved their sound so had 2 over the years.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

8. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

MrMoe 

Myself and others have posted videos of Jimmy Page playing his. I think it is in the Concerning Hobbits thread.
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-23-2021 at 7:57am. Reason: Concerning Hobbits

That's a nice piece.

Nat Daniels, the Dan behind Danelectro, was a genius whom we all owe a huge debt of gratitude. The most important of his many contributions was to design the push-pull (or class B) amplifier topology. Previously amps were limited in power because they were using a single tube to amplify the full signal and thereby limited by the power of a tube, which physics limits. Daniels redesigned it by separating the signal into the 2 halves of its sine wave and using a tube for each 1/2 thereby doubling the amps output. It also provides a cleaner signal since the cross-over point of the sine-wave introduces a small amount of distortion that is part of a class A amps tonal character and can't be removed.

I have collected a few Danos over the years and they remain favorites

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dano63.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	194385

Name:	DoubleDano-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	899.7 KB 
ID:	194386

Name:	Dan7-Dan6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	194387
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    Myself and others have posted videos of Jimmy Page playing his. I think it is in the Concerning Hobbits thread.
    A Danelectro yes, though not this more unique and rare model. Jimmy played a fairly standard 6-string model 3021.

Sounds like this "Bellzouki" is really not a whole lot different than just a 12-string guitar with a different body shape.
    https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/20...-7010-was.html

"The scale for each of the Bellzouki models was 24 ½ inches and the neck was slightly wider than the neck on six string Danelectro guitars. All the models had one or two Lipstick pickups which have their own unique sound and these guitars were no exception to that quality.

The earliest models came with 2 unison G strings to give it more of a Bazouki [sic] sound. Later these were adapted so only the first and second strings were tuned in unison, while the bottom four courses were tuned in octaves."

13. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

MrMoe 

There's actually a 2nd one on Reverb right now:
    https://reverb.com/item/5748199-dane...-60-s-sunburst

15. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

MrMoe 

The "Shop Amp" at Franklin is a Twin Twelve. It is one that has the diagonal motif on the front. Nick said it was rare. I can not find an image of the front. When I heard that amp I realized that the Masonite guitar guy deserved a closer look. The speaker magnets are electro magnets and are active in the circuit. It is an amazing amp.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-27 054558 - Copy.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	613.1 KB 
ID:	194395
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-27-2021 at 8:38am. Reason: to remove random number signs from text

17. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Everything you never knew about Nat Daniel (no "s" at the end).

https://pen4rent.com/portfolio/tribu...than-i-daniel/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I had forgotten about the Super Outrigger. I think thats Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix there on aft deck.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-28 072835.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	591.0 KB 
ID:	194427
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-28-2021 at 7:56am. Reason: spelling