Thread: Mowry F5 - My Last Mandolin

Default Mowry F5 - My Last Mandolin

About nine months ago, I was lucky enough to get a spot in a batch that Andrew was just starting on. For those who don’t know, Andrew Mowry builds out of Bend, Oregon, and he is making some of the absolute finest instruments available.

I had just purchased one of his A5’s from Carters and was so blown away by it, I knew I wanted to commission something from Andrew. Well, that ended up being this F5. This is what I think represents the absolute pinnacle of mandolin design and craftsmanship. I furnished Andrew a picture of the Loar burst I was going after, picked out the wood, and less than a year later, this beauty arrived.

It did make a short stop along the way to be reviewed for an upcoming issue of Bluegrass Unlimited. I think it will be the June or July issue.

I could talk all day about this instrument, but I’ll try to be brief here. It’s tone is sublime-it’s incredibly strong (the reviewer said the banjos will be asking me to hold back in a couple years), it has great midrange and an incredibly detailed top-end. I asked Andrew to use a stiff piece of Engelmann, and it gave me just what I wanted. The top wood gives a sweetness to notes all over the fretboard, but if I dig in, they can still cut your head off. I can’t emphasize enough how strong and clear the notes are to the very last fret. I’m sure a lot of this is due to Andrew’s superb setup work. The reviewer noted this as well, saying many top builders can craft a great instrument, but then send it out with a terrible setup. Not Andrew-his incredible attention to detail extends from the construction all the way to the final setup.

And the construction... almost no words for this. It is truly flawless. I asked Andrew to do an oil varnish with French polish, and it is wonderfully executed. There is a glow and warmth to it that I know will only get better with age.

I’ll close by saying that, the second I picked this instrument up, it felt alive. And I knew that this would be a companion for life. I’m just glad I was able to get mine now - I hope I’ll be able to put 50 years of playing into it before hopefully passing it to my daughter or son (he’ll be joining the world in September).

With all that said, I would recommend getting on Andrew’s waitlist now. I see him becoming the next Gilchrist. If you read this, thanks again, Andrew!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C3FD9ED-B719-4D1B-995E-674F664F314D.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	194262

Name:	03C502A1-B394-4128-ABF6-9028BA28A8C3.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	194263

Name:	BCC81D64-5D5C-4BF1-AA77-7B225917CA8E.jpeg 
Views:	197 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	194264

Name:	1DC44951-6056-487D-B161-2F623B2B7175.jpeg 
Views:	172 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	194265

Name:	8C0B385A-EC6D-4FA0-A629-EFC686ECB46D.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	194266

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jb83 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mowry F5 - My Last Mandolin

Congrats! Glad you love it. It's a gorgeous mando. For a moment I thought that was a Mowry I used to own, because I had Andrew inlay a similar trout fly on the back of the headstock. I think mine was built in about 2010, give or take a few years.

I think yours was the inspiration for the one I had Andrew do!

Congratulations Joe! That’s a beautiful piece. I have #122, and it’s a truly amazing instrument as well. Andrew is really building amazing instruments.

Enjoy!!

A great account and what a beautiful instrument! I’ve followed Andrew’s work for several years, and he seems to be turning out incredibly clean builds whose sound folks rave about—archtop guitars as well as mandolins. It’s great he’s out there building!

Wow, just gorgeous! That one piece back is absolutely alive. Alas, my retired school teacher pension puts instruments of that caliber out of reach for me. I'm totally envious. Enjoy it in good health.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Wow again. Thanks for sharing.

Perfectamando! That may be the first Mowry I've seen with an adjustable truss rod. Is he doing that now or did you custom order it with one?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Perfectamando! That may be the first Mowry I've seen with an adjustable truss rod. Is he doing that now or did you custom order it with one?
    Thanks! At this point, I think all his mandolins are coming standard with the adjustable rod.

Big congrats on that. I played a few of his at Wintergrass in the Builders room, truly beautiful tone, wood, construction, finish, everything. Would be curious how it plays in over time. That room at Wintergrass usually had Ellis, Pava and others to compare, no news yet on WG 2022 but I assume it's happening and Mr. Mowry will be back!
    Last edited by gtani7; May-26-2021 at 1:18am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

a beauty from one of the best builders out there. and a nicer guy you'll not find... congrats to you AND Andrew!

That guy playing mandolin

You know we'd all love some audio to listen to if you're comfortable
    Gold Tone F-10
    The Loar LM 310f

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.