Thread: Glue for case modifications?

Default Glue for case modifications?

In modifying a hard shell case to fit a small (TG-0) Gibson tenor guitar, I am using some closed cell styrofoamy material to be covered by a crushed velvet type fabric remnant. What glue should I use to attach the fabric to the foam? I don't want to risk something that, even when dry, might work through the fabric or off-gas enough to damage the finish of the guitar.

Thanks for suggestions or warnings.
    Cornelius Morris

Default Re: Glue for case modifications?

I made the foam (rigid foam) insert for this double mandolin case a while back. I used 3M contact cement spray. It currently houses my Gibson F5L and Fern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double mandolin case 0001 (1).JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	905.9 KB 
ID:	194270  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Most kinds of contact cement will work for fabric and foam, like Weldwood or 3M. These cements stay rubbery, which is what you want, rather than some glue that gets stiff and hard.

When I added foam and fabric to the Bada**(TM) Chipboard Case I used a hot glue gun and held everything in place with clothespins. It worked well. Smudge was helping me here >^..^<

I had been planning to use the 3M contact spray, but someone in my household (not me) had neglected to clear the nozzle last time they used it.

BTW, I also did some sewing when I covered the foam pieces with cloth. I wanted to minimize the use of glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smudge_case.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	194276
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; May-22-2021 at 5:29pm.

I have some water base contact adhesive. It does not disolve foam and is very low odor. The lable is gone. I will try to find the brand.

Sue Rieter , Smudge is adorable. We had a Smudge kitty 40 years ago.

6. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

The few cases I have worked on I always left open for a week. Then closed for a week. When I opened it if I smelled off gassing I would repeat the process. Maybe a bit overly cautions but I’m at least two cases I had to do that process twice as I could smell what I didn’t want to smell. I do not remember what I used but suspect it was typical rubber cement. Since it was many years ago certainly solvent based. FWIW
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Adrian Minarovic

I would try water based contact cement spray if (styro)foam is used. It gets attacked by acetone or similar solvents really fast. The contact cement stays rubbery and will not create hard lumps or such. Whatever is safe for styrofoam is very likely safe for the finish. But make sure to let it dry for week at least.
    Adrian

Hogo has jogged my memory a bit. I did try a solvent-based cement in a can that you brush on, 3m spray, and a water-based contact cement that for some reason I think had something to do with Kangaroos? One or more of them did attack the foam I used. And one of them was especially stinky! I did also use the rubber cement from a can but I do not remember how it reacted to the foam.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Has anyone tried Zelikovitz 1882 Water Based Contact Cement? I don't know anything about it other than finding it in a search on Amazon here.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

If you want something water-based that will stick almost anything to almost anything else, look for a jar of Yes! Paste. It won't dissolve foam, it won't stain fabric, and it won't dry out and let go the way spray adhesives eventually will.