Thread: Eurovision: Bill Bailey offers to represent UK in 2022

Default Eurovision: Bill Bailey offers to represent UK in 2022

It’s official.
    After achieving zero points in this brand new music contest -which is outstanding really, the UK is ready to take it to the next level.
    Bill plays mandolin.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1852362.html
    Last edited by Simon DS; May-23-2021 at 10:50pm.

Default Re: Eurovision: Bill Bailey offers to represent UK in 2022

Nothing new about the Eurovision Song Contest; its been a laughing stock in the UK for decades.

For those who don’t know about it, most (every?) countries in Europe enter a song and thereby follows an interminable hour or so of, somewhat political, voting - e.g Greece always gives maximum points to Cyprus and vice versa. Europe, by the way, appears to include Israel and, more recently, Australia!

The UK always comes at or near the bottom of the pile - nowadays there are heats but the UK gets a free pass to the final; I believe because they pay over the odds into the Eurovision organisation - and there are some truly awful entries. The merits of the actual song doesn’t seem to matter, it’s largely down to the performance!

This is new.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/07/e...est/index.html

Now I’m wondering why Mandolin Orange changed their name.

...... and representing North Korea we have ......

You’re welcome to it!

Okay, I'll say it - I love Eurovision. Yes, it's silly but there is something really joyous about the combination of Euro-pop, theatrical costumes, larger ladies, the occasional bearded man in an evening dress...it has it all. It's basically an up-yours to repressive regimes that trample on diversity. My favourite this year was Ukraine!

It’s promoted as a “song” competition though; not a political popularity contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    It’s promoted as a “song” competition though; not a political popularity contest.
    That was wise - the EU organisation (as distinct from Eurovision) isn't winning many popularity competitions these days, televised or otherwise. Perhaps if Frau Van der Leyen played mandolin or banjo they'd be more popular - I think she'd quite suit a straw hat. UK's Boris Johnson is definitely a banjo and stripey blazer man (or maybe sousaphone?) - how about Joe Biden?

Disclaimer - this is not a Political comment, and (Modern Banjoery Statement)...no aspersions are intended or implied on persons alive or dead who may or may not play any specified or unspecified musical instrument past or present.

According to an early series of “Who Do You Think You Are”, Boris is related to the royal heads of state for most of Europe. However, I think it likely that he’d do banjo playing a disservice.