Thread: Happy Victoria Day

Default Happy Victoria Day

"The 24th of May
    Is the Queen's birthday,
    If we don't get a holiday,
    We'll all run away."

In much of Canada, the only country that celebrates this holiday, Victoria Day is the unofficial beginning of summer. Under normal circumstances, not covid times, it's when people open the cottage (camp, cabin, bungalow, depending on your region). Hardy or perhaps foolhardy souls will be found swimming (see next sentence). Victoria Day is also known as "firecracker day" and as "two-four day," a two-four being a case of 24 beers. (I don't think Igloolik and other northern communities follow the same swimming and planting schedule schedule.)

This is really an excuse to show off my case sticker from the Victoria Folk Club in Victoria BC, where I sang a ballad nearly three years ago. Observe that, after all this time, the sticker is still clinging tightly to the cloth-bound case that goes with a mandolin I bought during my trip to BC. I guess the stickers with Her Majesty playing mandolin had already sold out.

A Happy Victoria Day to all, or have a nice day anyway, if you're not Canadian or not an admirer of British monarchs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victoria sticker.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	194307
    Last edited by Ranald; May-24-2021 at 2:17pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy Victoria Day

Well, that's all good and well, and thanks for sharing. I admit to being somewhat disappointed to see an an image of the Queen with a banjo. Surely Her Royal Highness could have afforded and even insisted on being associated with an instrument more in keeping with her exalted status. I'm not amused, more confused.

Here in the Colonies we're celebrating something else altogether - the 80th birthday of singer, songwriter, and Nobel Prize Laureate Poet Robert Allan Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan. But you can call him Zimmy.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    ... a two-four being a case of 24 beers
    Grammar, please! In this country a two-four is a case of 24 beer!

6. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

Geez! I wonder what was going on yesterday? People didn't seem to be in a celebratory mood. Nearly no response about Victoria Day, and no response whatsoever about Dylan's 80th birthday. I was busy elsewhere myself, or I'd have started a thread, or bumped up another - something! I know mandolin has never been a very big part of Dylan's music - his closest association, AFAIK, is the photo on the cover of "The Basement Tapes," in which he's miming playing a bowlback like a fiddle:

Name:	Basement Tapes.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	194340

But the same isn't true vice versa. Mandolinists have been doing Dylan's songs forever. I'm more than a little perplexed that he was overlooked here on this milestone. I know there are lots of members here who revere him. Well, it's too late to start a thread now - "Happy Birthday, Bob, Belatedly" - bleah. Sorry for the hijack - I'm almost done.

I watched a two-hour documentary about his early days late last night, hoping it would put me to sleep. It didn't. It was far too fascinating. In the scenes with the Greenwich Village scene, mixed in with all the guitars and banjos, there were a few mandolins scattered about. This still showed up about 15 minutes in, while they were talking about him just having arrived and going around to the pass-the-basket places.

Name:	Dylan Greenwich Village.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	194337

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Having grown up in St. Johns, Newfoundland I am familiar with Victoria Day and fire cracker day it was for sure for us kids. Born in New Jersey it was exciting to live in Canada and as I recall most of the adults celebrated with spirits of all kinds. I was standing at a bus stop in the early evening (I was twelve) when a large seafaring man in a navy coat came over to me and hugged me and then started dancing a jig with me. I was afraid but he abruptly stopped and walked away. I will remember Victoria Day. Dylan's 80th birthday just doesn't seem as memorable although I'm sure his music will endure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

As a Rush (the Geddy, Neil, Alex group) fan since childhood I first learned about Victoria Day from their song Lakeside Park. "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May, sitting in the sand to watch the fireworks display..." Mandolin content: Lifeson played a Garrison octave/mandola on a few songs on the Snakes & Arrows album and toured with one for a while.
    Last edited by Scott Rucker; May-25-2021 at 11:01am. Reason: just for fun

12. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Having grown up in St. Johns, Newfoundland I am familiar with Victoria Day and fire cracker day it was for sure for us kids. Born in New Jersey it was exciting to live in Canada and as I recall most of the adults celebrated with spirits of all kinds. I was standing at a bus stop in the early evening (I was twelve) when a large seafaring man in a navy coat came over to me and hugged me and then started dancing a jig with me. I was afraid but he abruptly stopped and walked away. I will remember Victoria Day. Dylan's 80th birthday just doesn't seem as memorable although I'm sure his music will endure.
    Perhaps he was celebrating Bob Dylan's birthday! They party hard in St. John's.
    Randy Bachman, guitarist (Guess Who, BTO, Ringo's All Star Band, solo) and radio host, told of jamming as a teenager at his friend's place in Winnipeg with his buddy's cousin, Bobby Zimmerman from Minnesota. Another Winnipeg story is that a homeowner looked out his window and saw a strange-looking little fellow standing on his front lawn, looking at the house. After, some time, he went out to see what the man wanted. It was Bob Dylan, who said that he wanted to see where Neil Young learned to play guitar and wrote his first songs. The homeowner invited Dylan in and gave him a tour of what had been Young's home during his teenage years.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

14. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

Aha! So there is more of a Dylan-Canada connection. Beyond the well-known one, that 4/5 of The Band's members were Canadian. Hey - that's 80% ... oooh, spooky!

Wonder how old Dylan was for that second story. Hope it was early on, because otherwise, that would have been kind of creepy.

16. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

I just had a crappy day yesterday and nothing seemed to get my interest!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

18. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Aha! So there is more of a Dylan-Canada connection. Beyond the well-known one, that 4/5 of The Band's members were Canadian. Hey - that's 80% ... oooh, spooky!

Wonder how old Dylan was for that second story. Hope it was early on, because otherwise, that would have been kind of creepy.
    That story was on the radio in 2008. I see it's a bit different from what I remembered:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-tour-1.755913

In Dylan's memoir, if I remember correctly, he saw himself as part of a northern American culture. He felt that it overlapped Canadian culture, and saw Gord Lightfoot, from Ontario, as being part of that same world. I wasn't sure what to make of that.
    Queen Victoria's bohemian daughter, Louise, spent time in Canada as Govenor-General's wife, and was well loved. Victoria's son Price Edward toured Canada. He had a reputation as a rake, and was claimed as the father of every illegitimate child along his route (including one in my family, though the timing doesn't work). So Bob and Queen Vicky both have Canadian connections, though I don't know about descendants.

20. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

OK, so that visit wasn't so creepy. Pretty cool, actually.

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

That's one of the coolest stickers I've ever seen, Ranald. And it stays stuck to a cloth case, you say. Bonus.

24. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    That's one of the coolest stickers I've ever seen, Ranald. And it stays stuck to a cloth case, you say. Bonus.
    For anyone who was hesitant to buy, that was their selling point.

Blog Entries

Uh-huh. So, on the one hand, it stays put. On the other, there's a banjo. So you have a sticker with a banjo that you're literally stuck with. Yeah, that may be a selling point. To some ...

27. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

Somewhat pertinent, methinks. From a while back, yet timely.

29. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

5/25 is Towel day for HHG2G fans.. https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=60D1EC37
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Though it’s just a memory, some memories last forever.
    Northfield NF-5S
    Sawchyn Beaver Tail
    Eastman MD 605
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Hora Irish Bouzouki

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    Though it’s just a memory, some memories last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rucker View Post
    As a Rush (the Geddy, Neil, Alex group) fan since childhood I first learned about Victoria Day from their song Lakeside Park. "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May, sitting in the sand to watch the fireworks display..." Mandolin content: Lifeson played a Garrison octave/mandola on a few songs on the Snakes & Arrows album and toured with one for a while.
    Sorry forgot to quote you
    Northfield NF-5S
    Sawchyn Beaver Tail
    Eastman MD 605
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Hora Irish Bouzouki

33. The following members say thank you to Chris W. for this post: