Thread: Article: Famed Monroe Video from the Scott Wright Collection Goes to Country Music Hall of Fame

Blog Entries

Default Article: Famed Monroe Video from the Scott Wright Collection Goes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Famed Monroe Video from the Scott Wright Collection

The museum's formal statement regarding the acquisition of the tapes:

“Bill Monroe’s prized Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar mandolin is one of the crown jewels in the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s permanent collection,” said Mick Buck, the museum’s curatorial director. “A critical moment in the history of the mandolin occurred in 1985, when it was vandalized with a fireplace poker at Monroe’s home. Luthier Charlie Derrington painstakingly restored and returned the instrument to service for Monroe in 1986. Journalist Scott Wright recorded the moment when ‘the father of bluegrass’ was reunited with his treasured 1923 Gibson mandolin. Thanks to Scott Tichenor’s generous donation, we are pleased to now hold the video recording of the return—featuring Monroe and Derrington—along with additional interviews Wright conducted with Monroe, in the museum’s archive.”

Blog Entries

And I'll simply add that I was just the bus driver here. All the credit should go to Scott Wright who was the man that really made this all happen and was present with a camera when history was being made. And my thanks to the guy with a little video business that included an old machine from the 1980s he hadn't turned on for years made to process those tapes. Found him in the far reaches of southern greater Kansas City, MO and he was willing to get it running again and managed to figure out a way those tapes could be digitized.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

"Bravo," with gratitude, for everyone involved in preserving this history.

Default Re: Article: Famed Monroe Video from the Scott Wright Collection

Love watching Bill Monroe get his Loar F-5 back after Charlie worked his magic on getting it back together! I bet these two fine gentlemen are playing some mighty good mandolin tunes in heaven!

Really neat footage!