Thread: Hi everyone...Vega here, what is it exactly??

Default Hi everyone...Vega here, what is it exactly??

Howdy! So I have had this Vega Banjolin (?) for years, my grandfather bought it new decades ago. I know that it is at least 50 or 60 years old at the very least but I’m not quite sure. Obviously it is old, all original, original case.... not sure what the model name or year is and what the value is of it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Hope you are having a wonderful day.
    https://i.imgur.com/SqTpwUV.jpg

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi everyone...Vega here, what is it exactly??

Banjolin, all right. It'll get called that a lot around here. "Mandolin-banjo" may be more "correct" but "banjolin" is quicker and easier to say.

I had a Vega Little Wonder in the 1980s. This is not that, I don't think. Mine didn't have that snazzy headstock logo. Could be yours is older.

Posting the photo for easier viewing. And welcome to the Café!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	194376
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I got this one in the late 80s when my grandfather couldn’t play anymore and of course like any other kid would I figured it was ancient hahaha!!!
    Maybe it’s not as old as I thought though....
    https://i.imgur.com/9f9wgkL.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/dnACaj1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6XYRJFY.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/3PgJgKv.jpg
    And thank you for the welcome!
    Last edited by Alexbobalex; May-26-2021 at 11:34am. Reason: Missing content

There should be a serial number on it somewhere; on my Vega Little Wonder, it's stamped into the dowel stick, which goes from the neck to the tailpiece inside the instrument's shell. You'd have to detach the resonator and see if there's one in there.

That particular "Vega" star logo on the headstock appears screened rather than inlaid (?). Vega instruments often had a star logo, but I've not seen that particular one, and a quick search of images on-line doesn't call up a similar one. I'm guessing later rather than earlier -- maybe 1930's? Does it have a tone ring -- or can you tell? My browser won't load your imagur pics, so I'm depending on the one jbear posted.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

Vega made banjo mandolins in at least a few different models. If you remove the resonator, it will probably have both the model and serial numbers stamped inside.

The silkscreen logo is a characteristic of the 1930's or later. I do not know exactly when they stopped using that particular logo.

Without seeing the interior of the rim, I will guess that yours is a "Little Wonder" model. The quality of the workmanship looks like the instrument was probably built before WWII.
    Last edited by rcc56; May-26-2021 at 2:40pm.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Blog Entries

OK, so here's how to upload an image here. When composing a message, see the icons above the message pane? Third from the right is the "Insert image" icon. Click on that, the "Choose file" button lets you browse to the file on your computer (or presumably a website, though I've never done that), and then upload it. Once the assigned file number, which appears between two bits of code which include the word "ATTACH", is in the window, you can highlight that string and move it around - in case you have a few images and you want to adjust the layout, or remove it from an erroneous placement within the text, or any other reason. I like to put a space between images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega 2.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	194377 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega 3.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	194378

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thank you for that!! I’m terrible with picture stuff hahaha!!
    So I got the back off of it and it is stamped right inside, “Little Wonder”. Also, “ made by the Vega Company Boston mass, USA“
    Serial # is 98434

Blog Entries

Aha! So it is a Little Wonder. Wonderful. It's like my old one, but different in some ways. The logo, especially. Hopefully the SN will help.

Using the table in this Mugwumps article, looks like 1945.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks so much for checking that! You are right!
    Next thing is, what’s the right price to ask for this value wise? Looking to get a new guitar soon...

Teacher, repair person

The good news is that this is a quality instrument in very nice condition by a respected maker.
    The not-so-good news is that the demand for mandolin-banjos is small and prices reflect that.
    Bear in mind that asking prices on the fanciest model Vega mandolin-banjos are below $1000. The lowest level model might bring $300 - $350. Yours is a mid level model.

I'm somewhat reluctant to suggest prices these days, but I might suggest a range:
    Part of the answer is it depends on how quickly you want to sell it.
    I would say $350 - $450 if you are in a hurry.
    I don't think it would bring much more than $600 on a very good day, and that's a generous estimate.

An alternative would be to hang it on the wall in honor of your grandfather.
    Last edited by rcc56; May-27-2021 at 6:08pm.

Thank you very much for the insight! $400-$600 it is then. It’s weird, I’m almost exclusively an electric player, guitar of course....and my family has always urged or advised me to sell it haha!! I have been the one out of guilt to hold on to this nice instrument, but I think it is time now. I never saw him play it and he told me he gave up playing after a while. We’ll see though.