Thread: Is a mandobass a bass, or a contrabass?

Blog Entries

Default Is a mandobass a bass, or a contrabass?

Enquiring minds want to know ... ;-)

Want to correlate sizes of mandolin family members to pitches such as soprano, alto, tenor, bass, contralto, and contrabass.

I once played clarinets (Bx soprano, Bx bass, and Ex contralto) and saxophones (Bx tenor and Ex baritone) I now play the most common modern size, presumably a "soprano" mando. I also presume that a mandobass might be considered a contrabass if compared to clarinets.

With no fixed standard for classification names by pitch across all types of instruments, can any of you help?

Default Re: Is a mandobass a bass, or a contrabass?

Soprano, alto, tenor, etc. Are broad general categories that don't necessarily translate exactly across family lines. String basses are "contrabasses" because cellos are bass instruments and string basses were developed to play the bass line an octave lower. They are written an octave higher than it sounds. Mandobass would come under that category.

In Europe, Mandolas are called alto mandolins.

Octave mandolins fill a void in the violin family, which I suppose would be tenor.

Names are often added to existing families: "piccolo" mandolins are fairly new to widespread use. They could also be called "sopranino".

In voice, "baritone" is more of a tone description than a range description, as it overlaps some of the tenor and most of the bass range.

As a side note, I think you mean "Bb", instead of "Bx". "Bb" is "B flat", while "Bx" is "B double sharp".

Default Re: Is a mandobass a bass, or a contrabass?

Contralto is defined as: the lowest female singing voice. .. its a vocal range not instrumental ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture