Thread: String recommendations for 1928 Gibson TG-0

Default String recommendations for 1928 Gibson TG-0

As a recovering mandolinist I am new to the tenor guitar. I recently bought a 1928 Gibson TG-0, and would like some string recommendations. Currently tuned CGDA, which is what I want, but am unsure of the gauges and brand. Knowing how lightly built this old ones are, what do any of you use and recommend?. Thanks.
    Cornelius Morris

Default Re: String recommendations for 1928 Gibson TG-0

Though I have no experience with the Gibson, I think it has about 22 3/4 inch
    scale. I recently had a luthier set up an inexpensive Recording King with 23 inch
    scale. He put on new D'Addario EJ66 80/20 bronze strings: 10, 14, 22w, 32w.
    I am happy with the sound. I am sure it does not sound like a vintage Gibson,
    but it is a place to start.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

3. The following members say thank you to sounds_good for this post:

fox 

I am fond of D Addario because of the interactive String Tension Pro.

http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/Search

sounds_good Has rcommended fairly light gauges. +1 for starting light on an old instrument. You can measure your existing strings and enter the values in the Tension Pro tool and it shows all of the data.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

if the current set on the guitar are good for you, why not get a set of digital callipers (with the screen) to measure the gauges, from Amazon or something - they are not expensive and useful for bad memories like mine.... ha ha.
    Then just order from somebody like Newtone if they are custom gauges as they can make up a set and keep you on their books for next time (via your email). Newtone deffo do that...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

6. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

fox 

Good idea about the calipers. I don't like to do anything without really thinking it over, so after playing stringed instruments for over 50 years I just ordered one from StewMac.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I have an occasionally problematic memory due to leaving my anaemia too long undiagnosed; makes it hard to get certain concepts too, but in the main, things like the calipers are great for me because unless i write stuff down on a virtual or real sticky note... I'm quickly clueless (as my partner will tell you... how she puts up with it.. I dunno!)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

If you do not have calipers or a micrometer you can use a feeler gauge. It is tricky to do without removing the string. Place a loop of the string on something flat and hard, rest a ruler on the loop and measure the gap.