Thread: DR strings (thanks Ivan)

Default DR strings (thanks Ivan)

I found a post from maybe 4 years ago where Ivan Kelsall recommended that I try DR MD-11 strings. I wish I'd taken that advice then so I could've thanked him.

The generous individual who I bought my Northfield Model M from included an MD-11 set. I've used DR's electric guitar and bass strings, but never the mando. They settled more quickly than any other string I've used, and sound bigger than the gauges suggest.

Took the mando to a band practice with 5 hour old strings on it, and I was making minor tuning tweaks every two or three songs. I'm super impressed and am gonna get another set, and some of the Dragon Skins.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: DR strings (thanks Ivan)

Love DRs on my mandos.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I tried many times on media to contact DR Strings about important stuff . Emails, texts and Messenger.
    NOTHING!
    I like them and bought lots of their strings from their IBMA booth in Raleigh, but they haven't showed the last 2 or 3 years.
    Hope they are not turning into JERKS !
    Maybe this post can get their attention.
    Life is short - Pray hard - Pick fast !

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Ok, I just want to take a few minutes and catch y'all up on some things.

Now, I know you had no way of knowing this, but Ivan passed on a couple years ago. Neither here nor there as far as it goes, and I wish you could have thanked him, too, but just so you know. And he was a character, quick-witted and well-versed in many things. He is much missed by many, including yours truly. I dunno, maybe this is a way of keeping his memory alive.

But you also said you were "making minor tuning tweaks every two or three songs" on 5-hour-old strings. Is that a good thing? Because it doesn't really sound like a strong selling point, unless I'm missing something.

That said, I did a little poking around, because I hadn't heard of the brand, and it seems it's well thought of. My supplier carries them, and they're only 11˘/string more than my regular brand, D'Addario. I've got no problems with them, been using them for decades, but I don't mind trying to make an improvement however I can. I'll try to remember them next time it's time.

Now, Hoovetone, just a word to the wise: The powers that be here tend to frown on taking grievances with a company to the public forum. Since this is apparently not a major issue involving large sums of money or bodily harm it's likely they won't make an issue of it. But just so you know. That said, it does seem odd they would be unresponsive. I wish you luck in resolving your issue.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    I found a post from maybe 4 years ago where Ivan Kelsall recommended that I try DR MD-11 strings. I wish I'd taken that advice then so I could've thanked him.
    Never met Ivan, but still miss him on the Cafe. He dispensed a lot of good advice over his time here.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Now, I know you had no way of knowing this, but Ivan passed on a couple years ago. Neither here nor there as far as it goes, and I wish you could have thanked him, too, but just so you know. And he was a character, quick-witted and well-versed in many things. He is much missed by many, including yours truly. I dunno, maybe this is a way of keeping his memory alive.
    When I started playing mandolin and got on this forum (2016), Ivan was an extremely active member. Always enjoyed his point of view. After a brief hiatus, I returned to the mandolin and the Cafe, and noticed I wasn’t seeing any posts from him. After a search, I found the thread detailing what was going on with him, and the unfortunate resolution. I didn’t know him outside the internet, but his presence is definitely missed.

But you also said you were "making minor tuning tweaks every two or three songs" on 5-hour-old strings. Is that a good thing? Because it doesn't really sound like a strong selling point, unless I'm missing something.
    The strings had been on the instrument for several hours when I took it to the band rehearsal, with maybe an hour of total playing time. I’ve never had a set of strings settle in that quickly. Should also mention I was sitting by the banjo player (forgot my music folder), so I was hitting the strings pretty hard.

D’Addario is my go-to brand as well, but I’m enjoying trying stuff I haven’t used before on the new-to-me instrument (Northfield Model M). It’s more responsive than the other mandolins I’ve used, and the first where I don’t feel an 11.5 E is necessary. Next up is SIT.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

7. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    I’ve never had a set of strings settle in that quickly.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. It sounded like you were saying they weren't doing that. Sorry you had to sit next to the banjo player.

And I hope I didn't upset you re: Ivan. I also was on a relative hiatus from here for a couple years, during which time he passed. I found out later, also indirectly, after I picked up again during lockdown. Yes, he was aces, and had a wonderful presence here. He's sorely missed.

All right. I think we're on the same page. Thanks for the tip about this brand. I've made a note for the next time I put together an order.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

All good, and I agree we’re in agreement, haha.

Hope they work for you.

10. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks. I recently laid in a stash, so it might be a while. But I've made a note.