Thread: We the Kingdom Rocks Freebird, My Girl, Coldplay and Chris Tomlin

Default We the Kingdom Rocks Freebird, My Girl, Coldplay and Chris Tomlin

a very cool vibey group of musicians that can cover seemingly anything, lots of fun in this video.
    and i always have trouble telling if its a standard mando or mandola-my ears tell me mandola, and it just looks bigger, but i'm always not sure. and what does the inlay GT stand for(? gold tone).

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK754gvz4AU

Default Re: We the Kingdom Rocks Freebird, My Girl, Coldplay and Chris To

GoldTone F6 Manditar. The trapeze tailpiece & six tuners caught my eye.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We the Kingdom Rocks Freebird, My Girl, Coldplay and Chris To

OK, so ... It's neither a mandolin nor a mandola, but a half-neck guitar, which Gold Tone calls a manditar or mando-guitar. An octave higher than a guitar. So smack dab in between the two in terms of pitch. But no double strings? I swear, for $20 more, he could have had a 12-string, with the ringing double-string sound. One of the guitarists in Lucinda Williams used to play an electric half-neck guitar, in order to have that sound without learning another instrument. Same reason guitarists play a guitjo, for the banjo sound.

They're good, and fun, all right. But couldn't someone take a lead now and then? I get bored with bands that are nothing but strum-and-sing. One of the most boring shows I ever saw was an acoustic one by The Cranberries (sorry, Dolores) - four rhythm guitars, no lead. Became seriously tedious rather quickly. Got to mix it up!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!