Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beatles tunes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beatles tunes

I had a friend, this is years ago, who had escaped with most of her family, from the former Soviet Union. She took great umbrage at the Beatles tune "Back in the USSR". Especially the lyric "you don't know how lucky you are boy."

I explained to her the context of the tune, and how it was an homage/parody of Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA", and the Beach Boys' "California Girls". And that it was also a kind of a zing to the American establishment status quo at the time, doing a parody-homage to two such iconic American songs.

I am not sure she got it at the time. But being in country and a citizen for all these many years, I am sure she "gets it now".

The world is a complicated place, and music, though powerful, can at times be a blunt instrument.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My band, Mississippi Crossing, does "And Your Bird Can Sing." Here's a cover. I do the guitar lead on mando. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAtGpU_xY8

3. The following members say thank you to hellindc for this post:

MrMoe 

Thanks Pittsburgh Bill . More or less the Boggie Woggie which seems to be the only progression I can remember.
    Last edited by MrMoe; Jul-23-2021 at 7:54pm. Reason: quote Bill

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellindc View Post
    My band, Mississippi Crossing, does "And Your Bird Can Sing." Here's a cover. I do the guitar lead on mando.
    You didn't here, but it hardly matters (though I am curious to hear it) because the guitar player does such a remarkably accurate rendition. George would approve, I think.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I didn't include songs the Beatles covered in my list, as to my line of thinking they aren't truly Beatles songs, and concentrated on songs they'd written (with the exception of "Slow Down," which I'd never have known had it not been for their rendition.) And there are just so many of them! But others have been more inclusive, so I offer here a list of those songs. I'm getting these from the alpha list at beatlesbible.com; their memory is much better than mine.

Act Naturally
    Ain’t She Sweet *
    Blue Suede Shoes *
    Honey Don’t *
    Johnny B Goode
    Kansas City - a particular go-to of mine for busking. I jiggered the words to relate it to Key West.
    Long Tall Sally
    Lucille
    Memphis, Tennessee *
    Money (That’s What I Want)
    My Bonnie **
    Rock And Roll Music
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Shake, Rattle And Roll
    The Sheik Of Araby *
    Shout
    Sweet Georgia Brown *
    That’ll Be The Day
    That’s All Right, Mama *
    Twist And Shout
    When The Saints Go Marching In
    You Really Got A Hold On Me

* in regular repertoire of bands I've been in
    **When Hurricane Bonnie was aiming at us (she veered off) I went down to the Southernmost Point where The Weather Channel had set up a remote crew and played this a-plenty, with words tweaked to express a wish for Bonnie to stay away, not come back, in the hopes of getting put on the telecast. Not quite. At one point Stephanie Abrams came over and politely but firmly asked me to stop.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-23-2021 at 9:17pm. Reason: thought of something else

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Something about this melody...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I thoroughly agree. It's one of Paul's most inspired works. Melody, chords, arrangement. I used to think the way their version ended with a minor > major switch was a cop-out, but I've learned a few things since then, and it's just right. These guys do a very nice rendition, very romantic. The audience paying rapt attention like that is a great testament to their ability to communicate.