Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip music

Default Re: Road trip music

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I try not to listen to too much stuff that gets my mandolin fingers twitching.

So my tracklist is all mixed up with reggae, straight ahead Scottish ceilidh bands, Greek music, obscure soul, sensitive singer-songwriter etc.

Lately albums , mostly non-vocal, from the latter part of Dr John's recording career are favourites for driving or working.

Duke Elegant
    In a Sentimental Mood
    Mercernary
    Dr John plays Mac Rebennack
    Skat dat de dat
    etc

But there are many great piano licks and melodies in there that would transfer to mandolin, so the twitching starts again ...
    Dr John Plays Mac Rebennack was one of the first CDs I got (moving out of my cassette period). I'm also with you on the reggae and Greek fronts (actually Cretan music in my case).

Nowadays I tend to travel in silence, although we had a road trip with son Neil a couple of years ago and enjoyed listening to his playlist. It's quite nice to hear new things from someone else's perspective.

I don't tend to listen to that much mandolin music in general, but I've always enjoyed David Surette's music. Just as good on mando as guitar, and also cittern.
    David A. Gordon

2. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Heading West across South Dakota and Wyo-Montana I found "Gallop Across Georgia" a surprising fit. Go figure.

Tim O´Brien: "The Crossing" and "Two Journeys".
    Markku Lepistö: "Silta"
    Listened to them on a roadtrip through Norway, very nice!
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; Jun-11-2021 at 11:14am.

I always like to bring along The Who Live at Leeds, and Levon Helm's Electric Dirt. (Some mando in the latter.)

D.H.

Plus one on the recommendation for Andrew Marlin's solo albums - particularly Fable & Fire. I'd add any of the albums that Cahalen Morrison and Eli West did together - some really fine mandolin playing by both those guys
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

The Doors, Riders on the Storm.
    1977. Three friends, we drove up to The Lake District on a road trip in an old Toyota, and switched on the windscreen wipers 5 minutes after leaving home. Torrential rain.
    The wipers were on for the whole trip, a week, but it was great because the wipers were adjustable and moved from side to side like a metronome in time with the music.
    And you know how it’s fun when it’s hot and sunny, to open all the windows and tap your hands on the top of the roof in time with the music?
    Well after three days of being flooded out, camping in the rain, everything was wet so we would open all the windows and do the same thing.
    In the rain, laughing like crazy people.

Ri...ders...on the...storm... da...da...da...da

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I try not to listen to too much stuff that gets my mandolin fingers twitching.

So my tracklist is all mixed up with reggae, straight ahead Scottish ceilidh bands, Greek music, obscure soul, sensitive singer-songwriter etc.

Lately albums , mostly non-vocal, from the latter part of Dr John's recording career are favourites for driving or working.

Duke Elegant
    In a Sentimental Mood
    Mercernary
    Dr John plays Mac Rebennack
    Skat dat de dat
    etc

But there are many great piano licks and melodies in there that would transfer to mandolin, so the twitching starts again ...
    I'm a big fan of Mac and NO R&B in general. There's also a bunch of Dr John as sideman on other records. One in particular, Hank Crawford's Midnight Ramble.

If you ever decide to combine your Dr John and mandolin itch urges, and if you don't know already, the first Dr John album is full of mandolin. Gris Gris.

Which brings to mind another road trip album.

This is not really the Roomful album.

I have a B.B. King sized thumb drive which has something like 1700 cuts on it from classical mandolin through B.B., Clapton, Prine, Mr. Monroe, and pretty much all points of the compass, roughly seven hours which I set on “random” it gets me to the cottage (6 hours) or Pittsburgh (6.5 to my sisters house) with little fuss. Heck there’s “Parliament Funkadelic and U.Utah Phillips and Barry White on there too, eclectic? Yeah, maybe.
    I have been known to listed to “Special Consensus’ “Everything’s All Right” disc three or four times in a row though.
    Greg’s such a great guy!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I prefer reggae-style music. I am a Spotify user, and Spotify will recommend songs based on user preferences. Listening to your favorite music while driving alone is a wonderful thing. If you are also a big fan of Spotify, it is recommended that you use TunesKit Spotify Music Converter to download Spotify songs, so that you can also enjoy wonderful music while driving.

Blog Entries

OK so here is something you can do. I only learned this a couple of years ago.

In my 2014 Jeep, I can bluetooth directly to the vehicle speakers from my iPhone. So I get on to the Mandolin Cafe on the cell phone from Safari (the iPhone internet thingie). Then I just go to the Mandolin Cafe MP3 library just like I do from my lap top computer. The mando-tunes go through to my car speakers and I am in heaven.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....