Thread: Best Wall Hanger For Mandolin

Default Best Wall Hanger For Mandolin

Good Evening Cafe Colleagues: I am contemplating hanging my mandolins on the wall I have seen several styles of hangers. It is confusing I am defaulting to you for recommendations based on your experience. Thanks in advance
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Default Re: Best Wall Hanger For Mandolin

It's hard to go wrong with the trusty String Swing - they've been around forever and make mounts from materials that won't eat your finish. They have many variations and are used by many professional shops for their displays. Get the smaller variants for hanging mandos. Other than that, I am currently loving the Hercules auto-grip hangers - the Ukulele sizes work great for mandos. I'm using the USP20CB Uke Clamp that mounts to a microphone stand, and also the free-standing floor tripod. They have a wall mount versions as well. The auto-grip mechanism might be a bit clunky looking sticking out of your wall, but these things are great in both mandolin and guitar sizes.

When I am not practicing with my mandolin I put it the case and latch it.
    I don't want to tell you what to do, though. Maybe you are growing 300 bu
    corn in central Illinois, and risk to the mandolins is not a big concern.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

There was kind of a fashion of putting guitars on the wall in early 20c in Europe. I once saw an old Ramirez guitar leaflet that specifically warned against that practice, saying that the back of a guitar tend to absorb moist from the wall a lot more than the top from the air. I guess it applies to European masonry or brick walls more than to brick-veneer ones we commonly have in this part of the world though.

I put a couple of these up last year (one of many covid projects) and they work nicely. Easy to install (once you find the stud) and the wood looks great. Holds a mandolin or acoustic guitar. I mounted them on interior walls, so no issues with temperature fluctuations.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica.../dp/B00Y9AD4HS
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Aother vote for the Hercules auto grip ones - I have five of them on my dining room wall. You don’t need to worry about getting the uke sized ones; the guitar size work fine with all my mandolins, mandola, octave and guitars. They’re not ideal for my Mandostrat (single sided tuners) but they work.

In looking at the mandolins in your signature, I don't think I'd choose to hang them on the wall, but that's just me. When it comes to guitar stands, I trust only Hercules.

I've used String Swings with all my instruments for years. I'm also lucky to have a rather stable environment in my music room.

Gives me anxiety to think about hanging a mandolin on the wall. I was freaking out last week when my central ac went out. I was afraid the high temperature would cause problems with my 1924 Gibson Snakehead A Junior. I got lucky.
    I have a dehumidifier that I have running at all times. I am probably very OCD when it comes to my mandolin.

Question Re: Best Wall Hanger For Mandolin

I have some , made to clamp to other tubes like mic stands ..
    my book shelf has a tubular frame..

Hercules has a wall hanging one for guitars: http://herculesstands.com/us/product.../wall-hangers/

Ukes too :.. http://herculesstands.com/us/product...ument/ukulele/

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am hanging them on a wall inside a closet which is closed. I learned a long time ago, that if I leave them in the case, is seems to reduce my practice time by half. Being able to have them in my hand on a whim, really causes me to practice more often in short bursts.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Sorry Cafe colleagues: I forgot to mention one important fact. I am hanging them on a wall inside a closet which is closed. I want them secured, but more accessible. I found that it I remove them from a case, I tend to not practice as often. Thanks to all for great suggestions and comments.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola

Am using the Proline version of the String Swings. It's done the job just fine so far. Haven't noticed any reaction from the tubing with instrument finish.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I've been using the String Swing hangers for 10+ years. Never an issue. I actually purchased 2 new ones last year to add to my studio after I rearranged.

#1 for Hercules. Safe, secure and accessible.

For multiple instruments (a wall o’ mandos) I use the diamondlife hanging system. https://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html NFI. If your room can be properly regulated for temperature and humidity, it’s not a problem. And having instruments within reach means they get played, in my experience.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    Sorry Cafe colleagues: I forgot to mention one important fact. I am hanging them on a wall inside a closet which is closed. I want them secured, but more accessible. I found that it I remove them from a case, I tend to not practice as often. Thanks to all for great suggestions and comments.
    No problem! Actually this comes up here from time to time. There have been lengthy threads about how we choose to store instruments, etc. I’m in the same camp as you, when I lived in a large house, I preferred stands and wall hangers, so I could could pick from numerous guitars or mandolins on a whim. But there are many, many others who are so careful that they absolutely fear having an instrument remain out of its case. You will hear from some of them even when the thread is about “which stand or hanger do you recommend?”

I made my own out of soft pine and lined the inside of the horseshoe shaped part with leather.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff