Thread: Kinda NMD

Default Kinda NMD

2009 Eastman 815/V - needs some TLC but sounds pretty good. Hope the link works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xw6...s6ms5xfKntY9dm

This is a mandolin a very old friend (we met 50 yrs ago and played in a R&R band way back when) of mine bought some years back. He got me interested (in mando) back then as I was fiddling a bit (no longer but the login from then stuck) so I got a Eastman 605. Unfortunately I started playing guitar again (a lot) around the same time so it sat unused until I sold it a few years back.

Jump to recent history, where I was tinkering with setting my sons up “The Loar” 310f, and I got interested again. Told my friend about it and he said I could have his. Needs frets and some finish work where he was trying to do a “Trigger” mod. Already has a decent tho’ not invisible repair to the headstock scroll break. Still, a couple steps up from the son’s mando .

Got it a few days back but are at the end of a 3 wk road trip so will do some set up and get practicing when we get back.

2. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Default Re: Kinda NMD

Original (phone) jpgs - back home and able to do a better link

front:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f9b98ffd_o.jpg

back:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ba79a5c2_o.jpg

Nice looking mando, fellow Texan.

I'm also "still fiddlin" which is to say still trying to fiddle. Love both mando and fiddle.

Good luck on the project!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

5. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Nice looking mando, fellow Texan.

I'm also "still fiddlin" which is to say still trying to fiddle. Love both mando and fiddle.

Good luck on the project!
    Thanks.

Yesterday I took off the pickup and put a bit of spirit varnish over the open wound - may try to put some color there someday. The frets were pretty gouged (my friend was primarily a bass player so ignored the high action at the nut and simply ground the strings into the frets with his fingers, apparently), but I managed to level and crown and there's still enough left (for me) so I've put off the refret for a while. That Baggs pickup didn't work when we briefly tried it in his basement (in PA on our "breakout" roadtrip), so I just removed it for now. I will inspect that whenever I feel I'm ready to hit an open mic where I might want to plug in - some months away!

p.s. thanks to Rob Meldrun for the setup guide.

p.p.s. I keep the fiddle around for when our son visits but haven't touched it in probably a dozen years - it turned out when I picked that monicker my fiddlin' days were near an end, but I didn't know it at the time. I just let it slip away when I started playing guitar again, a lot, and our son can play good enough for both of us .

7. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Enjoy!

9. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post: