Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small amplifier

Default Small amplifier

Apology if this has been covered recently. I went through some past posts and didn’t find anything relevant.

I’ve added an internal JJB pickup to my Eastman and acquired an external preamp; now I’m looking for a small unit in the range of 50 amps; intrigued by Fishman Loudbox mini, but I don’t sing much so maybe something that will take 2 instrumental inputs. Will be playing with others equipped with small units.

Recommendations?
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Default Re: Small amplifier

You might take a look at Yamaha’s THR modeling amps in a variety of sizes. They are AC and battery powered and include modeling of several kinds of amps.

These are nice, more of a PA so nice clear sound. If you don't need the mic input the XLR from your preamp works better anyway. You have either on both channels.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...with-bluetooth
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I have a Schertler Giulia Y (40 amps) and really like it. It has a very natural sound and some great features. The newer Giulia X has 50 amps.

Alan
    acinva

If you guys really mean amps instead of watts, be real careful plugging in
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I have an older Loudbox 100. Channel 1 is simply a 1/4" input. Channel 2 offers that, and an xlr. Extremely versatile amp, and easy enough to find used.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

well actually, if you take my (and I know they aren't cheap) AER Compact 60.3 - that does have a mic input on the second channel, but it's a dual use, as the normal jack socket is in the middle - and impedance is adjustable.
    So you don't need to worry so much and maybe that feature is on the other dual channel amps.

FWIW, I love it, but there are other things out there.

The Yamaha THR series as mentioned above is a single input. I do use mine more for electric; the AER for acoustic or my P90 equipped archtop.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    If you guys really mean amps instead of watts, be real careful plugging in
    Hey, I didn’t do well in physics
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

11. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Exclamation Re: Small amplifier

I have a Roland Mobile AC as my answer to a smaller amplifier I've seen them used as a monitor on stage too ..

Anyone want the Kustom KPC4P I am not using? 50W , fits on Mic stand [ XLR in & Out (+ 1/4" through )..]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    These are nice, more of a PA so nice clear sound. If you don't need the mic input the XLR from your preamp works better anyway. You have either on both channels.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...with-bluetooth
    I have one of the older Loudbox amps, and the sound is great, but there's no way to mute just one channel. This looks like a great solution. Mackie has always had impressive stuff.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Apology if this has been covered recently. I went through some past posts and didn’t find anything relevant.

I’ve added an internal JJB pickup to my Eastman and acquired an external preamp; now I’m looking for a small unit in the range of 50 amps; intrigued by Fishman Loudbox mini, but I don’t sing much so maybe something that will take 2 instrumental inputs. Will be playing with others equipped with small units.

Recommendations?
    Look no further then the Bose S1 Pro

Small, versatile, great sound, ACTUAL 50 watts RMS, and...cheap. Kustom PA-50.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...waAquJEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by acinva View Post
    I have a Schertler Giulia Y (40 amps) and really like it. It has a very natural sound and some great features. The newer Giulia X has 50 amps.

Alan
    I have a 50 Watt Schertler Guilia that I won in a Mandolin Cafe drawing a while back. I paired it with their basic stick-on mic on a wide range of mandolin-family instruments and absolutely love the sound I get. It really does sound like the instrument I am playing, just amplified. I have also played my Ovation mandolin through it and that is a great combination. Schertler makes great equipment and I am a real fan. Plus they supported the Cafe that way, which I value, too.

My Guilia has only one instrument input though, which works fine for me but might not for you. I just wanted to add my +1 to Alan's Schertler comment. We share a similar opinion.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I use a Loundbox mini as my main amp for shows. It sounds great by itself - the reverb and eq's are easy to work with and etc. It also has a line out so you can go to the PA as well and you can control the volume from the amp separate from the level that goes to the PA which is nice.

I rarely use the Loudbox alone however as I feel anytime you plug in a mando, you need to have some way to compensate for the natural tone you lose with the direct plug. I primarily use a compressor (LR Baggs Session), a reverb pedal (BlueSky from Strymon), and the LR Baggs Venue as the final pedal in the chain. The Venue provides a few things the loudbox doesn't have - including a mute / tuner switch and a better EQ IMO. In addition the Venue can also send to an amp and PA separately with independent volume controls.

When I play solo, I just use the loudbox for my mandolin and vocals through the section channel.

When I play with a band, I use the loudbox as a personal mandolin only monitor and line out to the PA from the LR Baggs Venue.

Recently I have been thinking about upgrading to the Loudbox Artist which is 120 watt vs the mini at 60 watt. The specs other than the wattage seems to be about the same though the separation of the channels seems like it'd be better based on the EQs. The additional headroom seems like it could be nice.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Just for comparison, I played my Fishman mini along with someone playing thru the Mackie I referenced above and the Mackie was superior in sound quality. The Fishman was not bad, but the Mackie was much clearer and more PA sounding. I was impressed and it is battery powered if you need that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

19. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

mbruno 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by cc7 View Post
    Small, versatile, great sound, ACTUAL 50 watts RMS, and...cheap. Kustom PA-50.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...waAquJEALw_wcB
    That looks really good ... I played through one on last Friday night gig and it worked out great. I normally use my loudbox mini and I’m happy with it, but my guitar buddy has one of these and I used it to mic my mandolin, awesome sound. Had no idea they were so inexpensive.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks for responses. Now I need to absorb and make a move.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Look no further then the Bose S1 Pro
    I have an S1-Pro, and an L1-Compact. Hard to beat Bose for clean and dispersion. I don't like distortion in acoustic instruments.

Even when Billy Strings does it...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Blog Entries

My band uses 3 separate Roland Cube Street (not EX) speakers when we don't want to use our mixed/wired PA. This combo provides 6 individually mixed, EQ'ed and voiced channels for either mics or instruments. I also use a separate Roland Micro Cube Bass RX for the bass.

Each Cube Street (not EX) supports two 6.5" low-power-consuming speakers rated at 5w, powered by 6AA batteries (~20 hours). They are exponentially more powerful than their wattage would indicate. They each provide 2 EQ'ed and voiced channels usable for either mic or instrument.

This combination is much easier to transport and setup than our PA, and we use it for most of our outdoor gigs as well as for indoor gigs when a FOH is not present.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Resident Hack

I'm currently (the last 4 months) using the Loudbox Mini as my only amp to keep up with a full band, drums, multiple guitars, amplified fiddle, etc. I'm set at halfway up and having no difficulty. Band is playing the same volume as before I acquired the Loudbox, so I know it's not a mirage.

I love it!
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Just for comparison, I played my Fishman mini along with someone playing thru the Mackie I referenced above and the Mackie was superior in sound quality. The Fishman was not bad, but the Mackie was much clearer and more PA sounding. I was impressed and it is battery powered if you need that.
    I just picked up one of these Mackie units and am very impressed. Thanks for the rec, pops!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

26. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

pops1 

I use a Fishman Artist and a Fishman Performer depending on the size of the gig. These are both great sounding amps (big brothers to the Fishman Mini). I recently discovered that they are both sensitive to a looper pedal. I ended up playing two events last week using my old Fender Acoustasonic. I couldn’t believe how heavy it felt compared to my Fishmans.

My main use amp for any acoustic instrument is the Bose S-1 Pro. Nothing I have tried sounds better to me. I also use and love the Kustom PA-50 depending on circumstances. Also a good honest representation of what is plugged in. The original 250 watt single channel Loudbox was great, but the current line of Fishman amps just don’t please my ear.

The Fishman loudbox series are great. Also look at Quilter.

Might look at a Marshall AS50.