Thread: String woes

Default String woes

Trying different string gauges on my new-to-me Northfield Model M. With medium gauge, it’s super easy to play and sounds great, but the D course seems a little louder than the A and E. With Custom Medium (same G and D, slightly heavier A and E), the volume is balanced, but a little of the sweetness is gone from the A and E. It sounds punchier now on those strings, though, so it’s not necessarily a bad thing. The action can go much lower than I’m used to, so playability isn’t affected by the thicker strings.

Anybody else have this dilemma?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: String woes

AS you may know, I am a big Mapes fan. You can pick your own size and metal preferences. Check 'em out...

https://www.mapesstrings.com

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I've been checking out that site, inspired by your frequent mentioning of them.

At $6 a set for whatever goofball gauges I want, it seems like a killer deal. Maybe I should get an 11, 15, 25, 40 set.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

4. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Lou Stiver got me into the 11.5 and I like it. IKIK, splitting a hair length-wise but I can tell!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I'll also add that I recently went 11.5, 16, 26, 40 and it's amazing. I love the feel. I also love my Mapes.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

7. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

I feel a little difference but hear a night and day difference between 11 and 11.5. Not hair-splitting at all. The 15 and 16 are a huge difference, as well.

If you wanna talk about hair splitting, I’m sitting here wishing someone made an 11.25, haha.