Thread: Thile's personal luthier

Default Thile's personal luthier

Does anyone know who does C.T.'s setup work.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Default Re: Thile's personal luthier

Long ago, he told me David Harvey did his setup. I’m not sure if he still does.

3. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

I just got my copy of Chris' latest album "Laysongs", and in the liner notes it says "Chris' mandolin is set up by Tom Crandall." I do not know this Tom Crandall, but what timely information!
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

5. The following members say thank you to Jake Biddix for this post:

7. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Crandall worked for many years running Matt Umanov's shop and left some time ago to open his own shop. He has an excellent reputation for quality work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Crandall worked for many years running Matt Umanov's shop and left some time ago to open his own shop. He has an excellent reputation for quality work.
    He did a miraculous repair on a 1924 O-18K I brought to Umanov's shop years ago when he was there. The bridge had pulled up and splintered the Koa below the bridge. No wood spinters detached (like bending a green branch) so he was able to weave the splinters back together when he re-glued the bridge. The damage and repair were undetectable
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

11. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

I gave the shop a call the other day. The guy that answered didn't seem to know much and went back and forth from me to Tom who was working on the bench. In the end I was told they would do setup if I sent the mandolin to them.

Ok, I figgered as much but I'll need to talk with Tom before I make any decisions.

I'll try again next week and see if I can have a conversation with Tom Crandall personally.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

Tom Crandall repaired/restored a pair of bowlbacks for me many years ago; he began work while he was working for Umanov, finished rather a while later. His work is impeccable, beyond reproach. I have to say it took quite a while, but for the most part, it was done on his own time, as Umanov's shop ate his life.

A highly-regarded poster here told me, before I ventured to send my instruments to Tom, that he (the poster) regarded TC as perhaps the world's best restoration luthier.

14. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Who cares? Having Thile's guy setup your mandolin isn't going to make you play like him.

(kidding)
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Billy: if you are going for a pro setup I would think you get that from at least a few pro luthier’s in Northern CA instead of shipping it all the way to New York. Yes, Tom I excellent but I would thing there were a few equals in California.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Of course you cannot just send a mandolin to a luthier and expect the set up to be just the way you want it to be. A conversation is required to provide insight into your playing style and action requirements. There are many qualified and capable luthiers that can get the action just the way you like it. I always prefer a more local person I can visit and provide with real time feed back based on playing the instrument and having a discussion.

Teacher, repair person

The climate is very different in New York than in Northern CA, and that is going to affect the instrument's set up needs. If you have your set-up done in New York, you may very well have to have it adjusted again not long after the instrument comes home.

There are highly experienced luthiers at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.

Actually I was just wondering. I like luthiers and have maintained conversations with many. They usually love to talk shop, as do I. I do have a wonderful local luthier, Luke Wilson, whom I trust emphatically. He actually listens to what I want and has the skill to do it. He was friends and partners for a while with Michael Heiden. Frank Ford at Gryphon is a friend as well as Steve Gilchrist and Bruce Weber. I really like chatting with Lou Stiver too.

At any rate, I am curious about who other mandolinists I respect trust with their setups.

Billy
    Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

22. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    At any rate, I am curious about who other mandolinists I respect trust with their setups.
    For clarification, my post above was in jest. I agree it’s interesting knowing things like that, and really find it off putting when anyone replies “Who cares? Won’t make you play like them.”
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Tom Crandall is a super nice man. I was in his shop Thursday and played a bunch of the guitars and mandolins he has set up and restored. It’s a fabulous acoustic instrument shop. One of the best I have ever been in. He actually does work for many of the hot mandolin pickers we all idolize. Can’t go wrong having him work on your instrument. Having said that, Dave Harvey is amazing. He has worked on my baby a couple off times and each time I was throughly impressed by his work. There are talented luthiers in every corner of the country who can do great work on our instruments. Just gotta find out who they are.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

25. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post: