Thread: Replica bridge and pickguard for teens Gibson A

Adrian Minarovic

Default Replica bridge and pickguard for teens Gibson A

Does anyone produce these? Un-adjustable bridge and the large pickguard with a clamp (I know the cam clamps are no longer made so viola style clamp would be OK)
    How much do originals go for these days?
    Thanks.
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Default Re: Replica bridge and pickguard for teens Gibson A

I can only think of Darryl Wolfe or Paul Fox for the guards. Original clamps can be found, I found one for 100 bucks awhile back-that seemed fair as I've seen people want way more! The bridge I have no idea, unless you get an original and reproduce it? I don't have one or I'd send it to you!

Teacher, repair person

I've made both the bridges and the guards.

Gibson used two types of non-adjustable bridges in the 1910's. The earlier type with removable saddles takes longer to make. The later type, which looks like it is one solid piece, was actually built in two pieces: A base section, and a compensated upper section. The two pieces are then laminated together.

I would have to think about a price to make a pickguard. The cost of celluloid keeps going up, and I have to pay a $35 - $40 hazardous material charge each time that I order celluloid.

Smakula Fretted Instruments sometimes has a few original later 'teens "one-piece" bridges in stock. They charge $150 for an original.

Prices on original pickguards range from perhaps $175 to $300+, depending on condition and whether or not a clamp is included.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-08-2021 at 10:45am.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I've made both the bridges and the guards.

Gibson used two types of non-adjustable bridges in the 1910's. The earlier type with removable saddles takes longer to make...
    So have I, both types of bridges.
    All you really need is access to originals to copy... if you only need one or a few bridges/guards. If you are planning to need numerous items, I'm not sure if anyone is making them for sale, other than perhaps Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    So have I, both types of bridges.
    All you really need is access to originals to copy... if you only need one or a few bridges/guards. If you are planning to need numerous items, I'm not sure if anyone is making them for sale, other than perhaps Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic.
    Thanks folks. A friend acquired otherwise near mint A2 so he wants to add missing pieces as close to original as possible. I don't have access to another original to copy parts so buying from someone who either has some templates or CNC program would be easier. Steve Smith, AFAIK only sells adjustable bridges.
    Adrian

Teacher, repair person

Bob Smakula currently lists some original late 'teens Gibson bridges in stock, which should be correct for an A-2. http://www.smakula.com/MandoParts.html

He has a full time repair shop. Ask him if he happens to have a pattern he can trace for the pickguard. If not, pm me and I'll trace a pattern for you.

I have one of each; original F4 bridge and original A-something pick guard. I could make tracings and get detailed measurements of the bridge. It is the carved type bridge, not the type with separate "saddles".
    As for material for the guard, that's not easy to get. I sort of lucked into a couple of bags of tortoise material (at an auction) that works, but the color is more red than the originals.

Teacher, repair person

Good celluloid pickguard material is available from http://www.axinc.net. It does have a bit more red in it than the originals, but it's good looking and I never had any complaints. The last instrument I used it on was a teen's plain A that I fixed up for resale. It had a nice original finish, and the repro guard and early teen's style bridge that I had made for it. I consigned it at Cotten Music, and it sold in under two weeks for about $1500.