Thread: New mixer

Default New mixer

The small amplifier thread got me thinking, and I didn’t want to derail the discussion there...

I ran out of space on two mixers last weekend during a gig, and haven’t always been super happy with my mixers, so was shopping online and thinking about picking up a Mackie ProFX16V3, which looked like a nice upgrade with a few more ports than I currently have on my main Harbinger. But then I noticed an option for about the same price would be to switch to a digital unit like a Behringer XR18 and do my mixing from a tablet. Has anyone made the switch from analog boards to digital and how did it work out?

Default Re: New mixer

I have a soundcraft UI16 and it’s pretty sweet. Nice to be able to adjust levels with the iPad while listening to the house speakers, save settings, and capture recordings, although the recordings are just the final mix and Other tablet based mixers put out multitrack recordings which is cool.

Dave Sheets

I have a soundcraft UI12, not a lot of channels, but I've been happy with it. Being able to walk around and listen with a tablet in hand (I use a kindle), or stand next to a musician while setting up the monitors is really nice. The UI series has a lot of nice eq, compression, etc, etc, very handy. I found an open box deal on the UI12, so it was really inexpensive. There are a lot of options out there, the Allen and Heath model is really nice.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

All of the reasons everyone mentioned is why you should definitely do it.

Also makes it easy to make adjustments in between songs, with your pad right there with you onstage, very unintrusive. Heck, even during songs.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

X32 is awesome
    More board than one can imagine, all in a two rack space.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll give the XR18 a try. It’s supposed to have most of the same guts as the X32 but without the knobs and sliders... all interface is through a tablet which I’ll probably buy a dedicated one for.

I’ve used the XR16 for a few years now. Love it. However, i would recommend you invest in an external modem. Just a cheap one will do. The built in one is slow to connect and can disconnect randomly through out your set. It won’t shut your sound off but if something is feeding back, you have to get it to reconnect to adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by danielpatrick View Post
    I’ve used the XR16 for a few years now. Love it. However, i would recommend you invest in an external modem. Just a cheap one will do. The built in one is slow to connect and can disconnect randomly through out your set. It won’t shut your sound off but if something is feeding back, you have to get it to reconnect to adjust it.
    Thanks, I read about that issue on both the Behringer and the Soundcraft. I was thinking of carrying an Ethernet cable and just plugging in directly for emergencies, but a wireless router would probably be better.

Also are there pros/cons to iPad vs Surface vs kindle for an interface? I want to take advantage of some multitrack USB recording as well.

Dave Sheets

I put an oversized antenna from Amazon on the soundcraft UI 12 and that improved the performance greatly.

I don't know about the behringer, but a Kindle tablet worked fine with the UI 12. I've also used an inexpensive Samsung chromebook with it, that works fine. Some people even run them off a cellphone.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

I’ve had the Behringer XR18 for a week now and I’m loving it. I’ve been just using it for practice so far but the control options for each channel are amazing and it’s really cleaning up our mix having things like adjustable filters/cutoffs/compressors for each channel as well as real time analyzers. It’s also really cool being able to copy and paste and rename channel settings, save different setups, etc. I’m looking forward to using for our gig this Friday.

One question I wondered whether anyone has a software preference for multitrack USB recording. I’d prefer a really simple recording interface then later import the tracks into a more sophisticated DAW for processing.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    ….
    One question I wondered whether anyone has a software preference for multitrack USB recording. I’d prefer a really simple recording interface then later import the tracks into a more sophisticated DAW for processing.
    Do you mean a different device? You don’t want to just hook the XR18 up to a laptop?

If you want a stand-alone *recorder* then a field recorder like a Zoom F8n is what I use(d).

I’ve been running a Mackie DL16s, iPad mixer board, and this run of Mackie boards have a built in WiFi router to connect your iPad / tablet to for mixing. Not Apple proprietary, so you can mix on android devices, too. Very intuitive app for mixing, as well. I’ve used 3 generations of these Mackie iPad mixers, and they just keep getting better.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tal-rack-mixer
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

Quote Originally Posted by still_fiddlin View Post
    Do you mean a different device? You don’t want to just hook the XR18 up to a laptop?

If you want a stand-alone *recorder* then a field recorder like a Zoom F8n is what I use(d).
    Sorry for the confusion. I want to record to the laptop... just wondering the easiest software (preferably free) to capture the multitrack recording with. I tried tinkering with it yesterday without success, but now see I need to download a driver from Behringer... hopefully then I can use audacity to record it unless someone has an easier suggestion.

It would be easier in the long or short run to just record directly int the DAW, something like Reaper. (Mac/Logic user here.)

I’d recommend using an external SSD for the project.

Reaper is inexpensive and has a free trial. I know a lot of people who like it. Audacity is a bit kludgy but free.

+1 on Reaper (@ $60) vs Free Audacity. a little learning curve required, but very easy to set up for this task. Editing after recording is a little more difficult on any DAW.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

+2 on Reaper. It’s rock solid and hasn‘t let me down since 2014. Plus it‘s completely configurable.
    And yes, the internal routers and antennas on those little mixer boxes are crap! Good advice to get an external router or access point.

I've also used Auria on an iPad to record full multi-track sets. It's the Reaper of the iPad DAWs. Reaper on a laptop has never let me down either.
    Last edited by Don Grieser; Jun-24-2021 at 8:55pm.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I’m having trouble getting reaper to recognize my inputs from the Behringer. It seems like my driver installation isn’t working properly. I may need to try a different laptop.

Did you install (and select in Reaper) the asio driver from Behringer‘s website?
    Win driver will not allow multitrack, you need to select that asio driver in Reaper.

I did… several times. I finally rebooted the computer and reloaded the drivers and rebooted again and I think I have it working now. Now I have to spend some time learning how to record and mix it! I was trying to record both the dry channels and the wet mix and haven’t figured out yet whether I’m succeeding. But at least it appears I’m getting signal to the computer now.

I should add.. I used the mixer for its first live show last night and it was superb. So nice being able to plug in all six of us to one board, retrieve saved mixes, have everyone’s name on their plug ins, and see at a glance how each channel was doing. It’s a tough venue with poor acoustics and it was a definite improvement. And now that mix is saved for next time.
    I ran it on a laptop with a cat 5 cable just to be sure there were no communication glitches.