Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todd Phillips Released

Default Re: Todd Phillips Released

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Great stuff! Never came across this album before, it appears to be pretty obscure.
    After T's hitch with Grisman, he proceeded to release a succession of Acoustic Jazz recordings under his own name. The quality and originality were without parallel. Unfortunately, except for myself (and probably the people posting here) who bought them, they were commercially infeasible, which the labels (and then artists) had to come to terms with. T was basically told there was no market for his Genius (in that style)
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

None the less the style presented itself on tunes like "Wayfairing Stranger" on Cold on the Shoulder, and "Port Tobacco" on Me and My Guitar. As stated in "Still Inside" Tony
    1. Was an audiophile - meaning he liked high fidelity sounds and all the technology and system configuration associated with it
    3. He was a night owl and slept between 8AM and 4PM
    4. He loved to listen to instrumental Jazz from 50s and 60s and 70s vinyl recordings

He expressed a love of performing instrumental music with a string band, and we are lucky he was enough of a "star" that the record companies let him run free on a few occasions.
    Tony was also a die hard fan of the traditional Bluegrass music he was raised on.
    He proved there is no reason loving instrumental jazz detracts from performing and loving vocal song oriented Blue Grass and Folk or vice versa, don't be afraid to listen and or play what you like as opposed to what is expected of you.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

3. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

MORE PHILLIPS:

TIMEFRAME (Compass) all originals. Features Paul McCandless on soprano sax, bass clarinet and double reeds. Phillips on bass, 4-string octave, mandolin and mandoloncello

TASTING THE WINE COUNTRY (Mike Marshall Quintet, Menus and Music) Features Philip Aaberg, piano, Darol Anger, and Paul McCandless, soprano sax and double reeds. Phillips plays bass only here.

5. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post: