Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

So I clicked on the link, and it brought me to Amazon - because Amazon is our overlord - and further down the page, in the suggestions row , there was this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jumbo Pick 4.20 mm.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	194724

It's not 4 mm. it's not 4.2 mm. it's 4.20 mm. As in, made for people who are so deeply into the 4/20 culture to think this is worth having.

Somewhere in my arsenal - actually, I think it's in my case, just in case one day I'm in such desperate straits that I need to use it - is a 3mm pick. It's from my days when I thought stiffer was better (like the Stiff Records T-shirts that said, "If it ain't Stiff, it ain't worth a ----"), and I had a 2mm pick. I used that 3mm a bit, but boy oh boy was it awful. I called it 'The Club." And now here's this, a full 1.2mm even thicker. I can only imagine what kind of cockamamie clickety-clack clatter that would sound like! I use a 1.5mm; this is nearly thrice as thick!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    Amen.

If I’m happier with my pick and instrument, it seems like I’m going to play better.
    Yep. Another "amen." I choose the pick which sounds best to my ear. Whether the audience can tell the difference (which isn't likely anyway), I am the one who listens to my playing more than anyone else.

I watched Frank Wakefield jamming with Darol Anger in The 5th String forty-plus years ago. They just happened to come in together. If memory serves, they were playing "Caravan." It was pretty awesome. Frank was using a thumb pick. Didn't keep his Loar from sounding terrific.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meow-n-dolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    So I clicked on the link, and it brought me to Amazon - because Amazon is our overlord - and further down the page, in the suggestions row , there was this:

It's not 4 mm. it's not 4.2 mm. it's 4.20 mm. As in, made for people who are so deeply into the 4/20 culture to think this is worth having.

Somewhere in my arsenal - actually, I think it's in my case, just in case one day I'm in such desperate straits that I need to use it - is a 3mm pick. It's from my days when I thought stiffer was better (like the Stiff Records T-shirts that said, "If it ain't Stiff, it ain't worth a ----"), and I had a 2mm pick. I used that 3mm a bit, but boy oh boy was it awful. I called it 'The Club." And now here's this, a full 1.2mm even thicker. I can only imagine what kind of cockamamie clickety-clack clatter that would sound like! I use a 1.5mm; this is nearly thrice as thick!
    Obviously this pick is made to go with a Sweetwater IPA...

https://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/brews...xtra-pale-ale/
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Not a new idea looks like a Japanese shamisen pick or https://www.pykmax.com/
    I've been having a really hard time with the joint on my index finger(No cartilage left), and holding a pick. I think I'm going to try one of those. Thanks!
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

What's the 4/20 culture? Forgive me I'm in the middle of country isolation, SD so I don't know the reference.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Blog Entries

Essentially, it's sort of code for the social partaking of cannabis. Here's a bit of the history of its origins.

As far as the pick goes, there is no mathematical reason for it to be marketed as 4.20mm rather than 4.2mm - it's the same difference. It's a nod-nod-wink-wink to 4/20 fans. IMO, of course.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

That 4.20mm pick is hysterical. The town where I live is known as a hippie Mecca (which it used to be), and when I was in high school, lots of people believed the local pizza place put a certain 4/20-related special ingredient on their pies.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post

Nearly six-fold thicker.....
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

12. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Blog Entries

That really is insanity!

"Remember, the bigger the pick, the bigger the tone."

He says it's 11.85mm thick; the website that has changed, and it's now down to a much more reasonable 8.85mm, as of 5/28/21.

The website also has this sweet talking from the manufacturer: "Also, let me say this. The INSANITY is such a different pick, if you play it and are not inspired in some way or another, then you have a hole in your soul." To which I say, "Sod off, sir."

I believe I'll be fine without it, nor the wasted expense of $30. And my soul is still whole.

14. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I had a V Pick Freakishly Large round. It's 3mm, feels like about 16, and sounded even chirpier than the one in the above video.

If Santana thinks it sounds like playing with his thumb, I'm glad it works for him, but it makes me wonder if his thumb is a piece of scratchy plastic.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

Right? A lot of electric guitarists these days are using no pick, going with the soft touch. It makes for a smoother attack. I can see Carlos using a hard pick, the way he likes to play lots of fast notes. I don't know if he's really into this ... this ... cudgel? Shillelagh? What's larger and more of a clobberer than a club? Because that's what this is.

Name:	Clobberin.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	194733

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: