Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Default The latest in plectrum technology.....

Just when you thought there was nothing left up those pick manufacturer's sleeves, they hit us with this.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

ajhgtani7 

Default Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Thanks Luk....I wonder if he was on drugs.
    Last edited by Denny Gies; Jun-10-2021 at 1:03pm. Reason: spelling error

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denny Gies For This Useful Post:

It's . . . odd. I guess I can see how the "tail" might help stability, but the whole thing seems kind of large and possibly unwieldy.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

6. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

Wonder if it was designed for folks with grip issues? Although most of the folks I know that have that use a modified thumb pick.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

8. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Not a new idea looks like a Japanese shamisen pick or https://www.pykmax.com/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

10. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

I made one with a tail once but quickly realized I was better served learning to manipulate and hold the pick rather than try to find a cure to me being too lazy to learn proper pick technique.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

12. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Hmm, that tail is..interesting... Seems a wee bit of a waste of real estate though to have a side that isn't playable. Something like the Wegen Dipper gives you more pick to hang onto and the three corners of it are all useable as well.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

14. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Hmm, that tail is..interesting... Seems a wee bit of a waste of real estate though to have a side that isn't playable. Something like the Wegen Dipper gives you more pick to hang onto and the three corners of it are all useable as well.
    A side that isn't playable?? Just wait. Eventually someone will find that picking with that side is where they find their best tone

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

18. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Need to try one. The end of my right forefinger is gone and I use the round butt of a teardrop now. Might would help me grip it better.
    Life is short - Pray hard - Pick fast !

20. The following members say thank you to Hoovetone for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Not a new idea looks like a Japanese shamisen pick or https://www.pykmax.com/
    Ok that pykmax thing is bizarre...
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

There's been lots of things invented for people that have trouble holding onto a regular flatpick, amazon seems to have dozens: https://web.archive.org/web/20160314...e-be-different

https://www.amazon.com/ZeroGravity-O.../dp/B0002E1UNU

and recently i've been using a strum n comfort thumbpick, I really like it both for pedal steel guitar w/fingerpicks and for 6 string w/fingernails https://www.etsy.com/listing/8296680...son-signature?
    Last edited by gtani7; Jun-13-2021 at 12:47am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

$7.50 for a threepack is nothing. I mean, check the price on these babies...

I will allow that a musician on Thile's level might be able to hear $25 worth of value in a pick. But how many of the audience will?

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post

I will allow that a musician on Thile's level might be able to hear $25 worth of value in a pick. But how many of the audience will?
    So should he just use a Fender Heavy and be done with it since the audience won't hear the value? I'd wager that Chris Thile makes his pick choices based on whether the pick feels good to play with, facilitates speed etc., rather than whether or not the audience can tell he's using a $25 pick.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

25. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I use BlueChips at $35 each. I can use most any pick, but the BCs don’t slip around in my fingers. Anybody listening to me play might not hear $35 worth of pick, but they won’t see me getting pissed off because I’m constantly stopping to adjust my pick.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

27. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I have three of them. They are great picks - and less expensive than Red Bears, which are also casein. For a casein pick on a budget, the Fender Tru Shells are nice, but the bevels are much less refined so I do a bit of dressing on them.

Long before the "tech revolution" hit the "plectrum" market, and I was learning to get a pick to stay where I wanted it to stay, I used a little fiddle rosin. Worked just fine. I think I paid a buck for it about 45 years ago. I think I might still have it around here somewhere....

Al

So should he just use a Fender Heavy and be done with it since the audience won't hear the value? I'd wager that Chris Thile makes his pick choices based on whether the pick feels good to play with, facilitates speed etc., rather than whether or not the audience can tell he's using a $25 pick.
    I'm not Chris, but I don't care what the audience thinks of my pick. It's only important that I like the sound of it. I spend way more time with my mandolin alone than with an audience. I abandoned BC picks years ago, I loved the glide and how they felt, but didn't like the sound as well as my Wegen.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

Didn't Chris change his favorite pick at least few times in the last decade? Each time his fans con verted to the new "better" pick. I remember discussion about CT and his white wegen, later CT Bluechip and now this D'addario... HIS tastes change and I wonder why tastes of his disciples must change as well... 99.9% of listeners won't be able to recognise his switch of pick and I bet that if he listened to his old records he couldn't tell in many cases what he used (except for cases where he remembers). The picker may FEEL the change of pick and in many cases the change in tone is subjective based more upon the feeling than real percepted tone change (unless the shape or surface of picks are significantly different).
    BTW, for $25 you can buy whole plate of the casein material these days (likely most of the material used for all the different picks comes from one of very few producers of this stuff) and make two dozen your own picks of any shape and thickness you desire.
    Adrian

32. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Just curious as to why audiences keep being brought up? Do any musicians decide on what pick they use (or fiddle bow, or drum sticks) based on whether the audience can hear the difference? I've honestly never heard of anyone claiming that as their motivation. Also, while we might buy a pick because it's the same type our favourite player uses that doesn't mean that it will feel comfortable to play with for our needs - we might prefer a different material, different shape or different thickness. If I feel that there's a difference in the pick I'm using then that's all that matters - I don't care whether the audience can tell the difference between a Delrin 500 or a TPR35, I don't care if people on a forum think it's madness to spend $25 on a pick that I've had (and that shows little signs of wear) for 11 years - what matters is that the pick feels comfortable for me when I play. As they say your mileage may vary, there's nothing wrong with folks who choose to use Blue Chip, Red Bear, Apollo, Charmed Life etc. picks and there's nothing wrong with folks who choose to use Dunlop Ultex, Fender Heavy, Primetone etc.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I'm not Chris, but I don't care what the audience thinks of my pick. It's only important that I like the sound of it. I spend way more time with my mandolin alone than with an audience. I abandoned BC picks years ago, I loved the glide and how they felt, but didn't like the sound as well as my Wegen.
    Another vote here for Wegan picks. I have had two BCs - wonderful picks -- but the Wegans sound every bit as good. I even did a "blind" test, recording each pick on both mando and 'cello, and asked my wife (also a musician) if she could tell the difference. She couldn't. Yeah, I know it sounds pretty extreme, even stupid, to conduct such a test, but it's the only way I could remove myself from the evaluation. The BC "feels" a bit nicer, but I don't drop the Wegan any more than I do any other pick, which means no more than every couple of months or so.

Just for the record -- with my zook, I find Fender thins give me exactly the sound I want.
    And, I just ordered an assortment of V-picks to give them a roadtest.
    The search never ends

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Another vote here for Wegan picks. I have had two BCs - wonderful picks -- but the Wegans sound every bit as good. I even did a "blind" test, recording each pick on both mando and 'cello, and asked my wife (also a musician) if she could tell the difference. She couldn't. Yeah, I know it sounds pretty extreme, even stupid, to conduct such a test, but it's the only way I could remove myself from the evaluation. The BC "feels" a bit nicer, but I don't drop the Wegan any more than I do any other pick, which means no more than every couple of months or so.

Just for the record -- with my zook, I find Fender thins give me exactly the sound I want.
    And, I just ordered an assortment of V-picks to give them a roadtest.
    The search never ends
    Just shows how subjective and variable these things are - I’ve tried many Wegens and none have worked for my particular grip or attack or whatever, but I know there are many, many players for whom the Wegens work best. I have several BCs, but I use them only sporadically on certain tunes, in certain moods. Usually only on mandolin - I’ve never liked the feel or tone of them with my guitars. The D’Andrea large triangle Radex picks are my current go-to favorites, but my son doesn’t like them very much. He’ll be inheriting my extensive pick collection (along with most of my instruments) someday....

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Just shows how subjective and variable these things are.
    You got it! And, I mean, what fun would it be if we didn't all have differing preferences, and if those preferences didn't change? What the heck would we have to talk about? lol

I have playing for about 50 years, and have played with every pick I could get my hands on, from metal to wood to gem-stone to elephant ivory to tortoise. Still looking for the "perfect" one.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

38. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

I've been playing with Blue Chip picks this week for the first time. Finding the same thing. Easier to play with BC, but Wegen sounds better. Not sure where I'll land.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

Just curious as to why audiences keep being brought up? Do any musicians decide on what pick they use (or fiddle bow, or drum sticks) based on whether the audience can hear the difference? I've honestly never heard of anyone claiming that as their motivation. Also, while we might buy a pick because it's the same type our favourite player uses that doesn't mean that it will feel comfortable to play with for our needs - we might prefer a different material, different shape or different thickness. If I feel that there's a difference in the pick I'm using then that's all that matters - I don't care whether the audience can tell the difference between a Delrin 500 or a TPR35, I don't care if people on a forum think it's madness to spend $25 on a pick that I've had (and that shows little signs of wear) for 11 years - what matters is that the pick feels comfortable for me when I play. As they say your mileage may vary, there's nothing wrong with folks who choose to use Blue Chip, Red Bear, Apollo, Charmed Life etc. picks and there's nothing wrong with folks who choose to use Dunlop Ultex, Fender Heavy, Primetone etc.
    Amen.

I brought a new to me mandolin to band practice recently. Of course I was curious to know what everybody thought about it, but I know that I think it sounds better than my other one, it’s easier to play, and it’s louder. They liked it, but even if they hadn’t, it would’ve taken a very compelling argument to get me to bring the old one next time. Same goes for anyone listening to me play. If I’m happier with my pick and instrument, it seems like I’m going to play better.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

41. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post: