Thread: Article: New Music from Mike Guggino & Barrett Smith - Mia Dolce Farfalla

Blog Entries

Default Article: New Music from Mike Guggino & Barrett Smith - Mia Dolce

Default Re: Article: New Music from Mike Guggino & Barrett Smith - Mia Do

Sweet!

Looks like a great album!

Very cool!

Looking fwd to this.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Oh gosh, it's really here! I'm so proud of this tribute to your grandfather. Here's to all the brave Italian immigrant mandolinists who came here to forge a new life but kept the village dances alive so that we could continue to enjoy them. Mille Grazie! Ben fatto! Sheri P.S. I just love seeing my Grauso mandolin on the front cover!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Top Shelf !!! Complimenti !!! Finalmente ! Someone has gotten this music right !!! Che gioia!!! Your grandfather and mine--who played this music would be so very proud of you and the work you have done....!! So glad I recalled immediately upon hearing that snippet on the podcast that itcwas Delirio D'Amore-- Mazurka by Onofrio DiBella. A staple at every midnight serenade here in Philadelphia and in NYC for over a century.. So glad I even have recordings of it which are on the Audio Dropbox as well ad the sheetmusic. So glad that Sheri and I collaborated on all of this over the last several years to help bring it all to light again and pass on the torch to future generations. Delirio D'Amore and all of the other titles on the CD are classics in the genre. "Il suo lavoro mi tocca il cuore"!! "Your work touches the heart:!!! Ad Multos Annos !!!

9. The following members say thank you to Musicapralis704 for this post:

Normannno Giorno-Calapristi grandson of Philadelphia mandolinist Luigi Giorno, and author of the above post. Wanted to add --All of the Mazurka and Waltz renditions are played in true "alla serenata" style--alla napoletana.... Nit often heard today ! Another outstanding feature of this work !

NGC--- Germantown, Philadelphia PA.

Gorgeous music!

Must admit that, at first glance, the tailpiece looked like someone took a bite outta the mando.

Default Re: Article: New Music from Mike Guggino & Barrett Smith - Mia Do

Has anyone had any problems with the downloaded files of this CD?

There are at least three tracks on mine that got cut off. For instance, Speranze Perdute is only 9 seconds long. I know all the Nonna tracks are very short but there are others that get lopped off before they are done. I emailed Mike and Barrett on their site a few weeks ago but heard nothing and just re-sent en email also to Barrett's direct email address and the web site site but have heard nothing. Usually you can re-download files on most sites after you pay but i can't seem to do that and the receipt said that the files were only available for a week or so back in June.

I assume the CD is fine but I am talking about the digital files (mp3) downloaded.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1