Thread: 1989 Washburn M-3SW vs. New Eastman/Loar/etc

Question 1989 Washburn M-3SW vs. New Eastman/Loar/etc

Long time guitar player, I'v been playing mandolin for just under a year now. I've been using a $70 Rogue, and I've decided that I'm overdue for an upgrade.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1989 Washburn M-3SW with a fishman-200 pickup already installed (important since I plan to gig with it) and a hard case for $400. I've heard that the late 80s versions of these mando's are great, and are completely different than the M3SWs that are being made now. It's owned by a professional luthier and is presumably in great shape. I'll probably pay an extra $100 for a professional setup bringing the total to around $500.

The other direction I'm thinking is the Eastman 315 brand new (or something similar). Its around $750 with a pro setup and would probably cost me around $200 extra to have a pickup installed. Brings me to just under $1000. There's loads of other new options in this price range that I'd be open to consider.

I understand that all of these instruments are in the entry level range, but I do want a mandolin that I'll be happy to gig on and that I'll keep for a long time.

Unfortunately, due to where I live, I don't really have the opportunity to play any of them beforehand. I understand that I'll get more bang for the buck with an A-style, but I love the look of F-style and that's important enough to me to sacrifice some money.

I guess my question essentially is: Should I pickup the used Washburn for $400, or spend the extra money for a new one from Eastman, Loar etc.? It seems from my research that the late 80s models of these are comparable to a new mandolin in the $700-800 range, but I know it's a loaded comparison without getting to play them.

Does anyone own a late 80s M-SW3 or have any experience with them?

Thanks
    Z

Default Re: 1989 Washburn M-3SW vs. New Eastman/Loar/etc

Can’t help with the Washburn, but there’s a used MD615 in the classifieds that I’d probably be giving a good look before putting money into that (or a new 315) if I was expecting to be chewing through the better part of $1k.

The older M3SW's get some pretty good Cafe press in this 2019 thread.

In general, I'd go with Eastman over Washburn most times, but this particular model may be an exception. Note that the solid top's "carved" and not "hand-carved," whatever the implications of that are.

See if you can get the "professional luthier" to throw in a free set-up; can't hurt to ask...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I would go with the Eastman 315. The finish on the Washburn is going to be thicker than the satin finish on the Eastman 315. I think the Eastman will sound better and resonate better than the Washburn.

My experience with The Loar brand mandolins has been limited to the LM-600. Honestly I thought it sounded too quiet and thin. Again, I think the finish is too thick to allow the wood to fully resonate. Just my observations.

Another vote for Eastman over the Washburn. I had a 1980's Jethro Burns model at one point. Not bad a bad instrument, but I do think the Eastman models are easier to play and just sound better.

And to throw in a "bologna sandwich" answer, there is a used Eastman 815 with pickup in the classifieds right now that I would get instead of a new 315 and pickup.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

As a friend of mine's dad used to say "When you buy, you sell" - with that in mind, looking further down the line when you may want to move up the mandolin food chain you'll probably have a bigger audience interested in buying an Eastman than a late '80's Washburn, just something to consider.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel