Thread: CNC plate carving service

Default CNC plate carving service

Anyone know of an alternative carving service I can use while Smith Creek moves their shop over the rest of the year?
    Thanks!

Default Re: CNC plate carving service

I could help you, if you have your own, 3D Autocad file.

Thanks. I don't, but I see STEP & STL 3D file formats can be purchased at https://genone-luthier-supply.com/co...n-3d-cnc-files. Supposed to be importable by 3D Autocad. Not sure I want to spend $330 for files on top of the carving fees for maybe three sets of plates since I have no desire to purchase a CNC myself. Learning curve is too long at my age...

Quote Originally Posted by crooksj View Post
    Thanks. I don't, but I see STEP & STL 3D file formats can be purchased at https://genone-luthier-supply.com/co...n-3d-cnc-files. Supposed to be importable by 3D Autocad. Not sure I want to spend $330 for files on top of the carving fees for maybe three sets of plates since I have no desire to purchase a CNC myself. Learning curve is too long at my age...
    I'd be suspect of the arching on those files. There doesn't appear to be a recurve, and the scroll spine looks very flat. Hard to tell as these are rendered drawings. Anyone out there use these files to build one?

5. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

There are some differences among all plans (and also offered CNC files). If you get plates carved using different plan you may find out the body shape won't fit your ribs...
    Adrian

7. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Any thoughts to do 3D files of your plans Adrian?

9. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

I'd gladly pay a hefty sum for a CAD file of Adrian's plans; they are the best available!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

Like these? :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Body-neck-fb2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	194701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Body-neck-fb.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	194702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dovetail.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	194703  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	194704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-in-Fs.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	194705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-in.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	194706  

Name:	RibsKerf.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	194707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back-ribs.jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	194708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-out.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	194709  

Name:	Back.jpg 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	194710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-f.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	194711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ribs.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	194712  

Name:	Body.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	194713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-small..jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	194714  
    Adrian

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Adrian- wow. I imagine that took a little time! What software? Rhino? That's just beautiful.

It is just a tiny little mandolin; hand carve them like 1000s of other do and have done.

It's not like we're talking about 3 double basses....
    www.condino.com

That sounds an awful lot like work.

I prefer to spend a decade building a machine out of recycled materials which is controlled by software written by unpaid amateurs, which can easily disassemble itself (and me) while traveling at 20mph if a single .25mm diameter control wire comes loose in a system which experiences 4.5 million cycles of strong vibrations per hour of operation.
    And that's before factoring in human error...
    #CNCisCheating

17. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    It is just a tiny little mandolin; hand carve them like 1000s of other do and have done.

That’s starting to look like a pretty good idea…thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post

I prefer to spend a decade building a machine out of recycled materials which is controlled by software written by unpaid amateurs, which can easily disassemble itself (and me) while traveling at 20mph if a single .25mm diameter control wire comes loose in a system which experiences 4.5 million cycles of strong vibrations per hour of operation.
    #CNCisCheating
    Perhaps it is cheating. However, when you have worn out your body and hands to the point of damage from carving too many plates (maple especially) you need to look for alternatives so that you can continue your craft. I see no problem roughing out plates and doing final grads by hand. It is a lot of work to draw CAD files, and learn the machine. It still requires knowledge and skill as a builder to complete a great sounding quality instrument. There are folks who think you just feed raw wood into a machine and out comes a playable mandolin on the other end.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Adrian- wow. I imagine that took a little time! What software? Rhino? That's just beautiful.
    Yes Rhino 4. This was actually my first real CAD model I did. Learning the Rhino as I went from my 2D drawings (in Illustrator) to 3D. I don't think 3D modelling is hard. Being math and IT guy fond of design and geometry made the learning curve a bit straighter for me :-).

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Even though I planned to help myself by carving parts on CNC with these files I actually turned 180degrees for the latest 3 or 4 builds and did everything by hand (including binding channels all around) and with almost no use of power tools. I enjoy the handwork and kinda fear that the CNC will take that away (I have a day job so I don't have to be efficient etc...). But, I must admit that two of my mandolins from 10 or so years ago have blocks cut by CNC.
    I have a bass top in workshop that I joined almost 20 years ago to carve replacement for my friends badly damaged bass but whenever I look at it I rethink if I really want to start the battle :-) . I know one day I will, and the old bass is still waiting. (in my tiny workshop it would be quite a job just to clean enough place on bench for the plate).

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    #CNCisCheating
    I've got access to 5axis CNC and several standard 3D CNC routers but started building my own few years ago so I won't be dependent on others. I stopped the project as I didn't have the time (dayjob, family with small kids) but it's not 10 years yet so I will follow you sooner or later :-)
    #IDontThinkCNCisCheating it takes helluva lot of time and skill to do it oneself from start to finish.
    Adrian

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
    Perhaps it is cheating. However, when you have worn out your body and hands to the point of damage from carving too many plates (maple especially) you need to look for alternatives so that you can continue your craft. I see no problem roughing out plates and doing final grads by hand. It is a lot of work to draw CAD files, and learn the machine. It still requires knowledge and skill as a builder to complete a great sounding quality instrument. There are folks who think you just feed raw wood into a machine and out comes a playable mandolin on the other end.
    I believe Marty was joking. He's doing lots of CAD and CNC himself.
    Adrian

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Just think of the CNC as replacing all those apprentices doing the pit resawing, and breaking down the timbers into usable components. Less guilt
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

24. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I believe Marty was joking. He's doing lots of CAD and CNC himself.
    I started to remember that after I posted. I guess I'm speaking towards those that aren't joking? I'm still looking for the machine to feed raw wood into one side...

I'm pretty sure that five of the 8 people in this conversation own one and know the other do too, so it is a bit of an insider's laugh.....

The irony is not lost on me that I carve all of my double bass tops by hand, but enjoy at least roughing the mandolins on cnc.

I'd bet that Andrew, Austin, and Steve are lurking this thread.

Maybe I need to up my ante: wanna trade some renderings for Brazilian rosewood???? "Mmmmmmmhhhh.....precious......"
    www.condino.com

27. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Before CNC, there was a technique called "step routing." In the old days, Stew-mac used to sell plates that were roughed out by routing in steps. It was then up to the builder to finish up the work by hand in the traditional manner. Gibson probably used such a technique for 80 years or more.

I suppose it would not be too difficult to make up a few patterns or jigs and step rout a plate yourself, but you would need be really good with a router.

29. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Before CNC, there was a technique called "step routing." In the old days, Stew-mac used to sell plates that were roughed out by routing in steps. It was then up to the builder to finish up the work by hand in the traditional manner. Gibson probably used such a technique for 80 years or more.

I suppose it would not be too difficult to make up a few patterns or jigs and step rout a plate yourself, but you would need be really good with a router.
    Gibson used similar 3D pattern carving duplicators like other woodworking factories of the day. Chairmakers used them in 19th century, powered by steam engine till beginning of 20th century.
    Step routing is simpler form for DIY makers without the big machinery. These days the old pantograph routers are sold cheap from those who converted to CNC.
    Adrian