Thread: Documenting my journey

Default Documenting my journey

So, I want to kind of keep an online "journal" of my progress with the mandolin. Something that I can come back to every now and again, and see how I have progressed.

I picked one up about this time last year, and Eastman MD 315 lefty. I started messing around with it, watching videos (mostly MandoLessons), and took a few online classes with an instructor local to me-but I cant really learn live, online, I figured out.
    I am now taking lessons from an instructor local to me, once a week, paid for 10 lessons up front, and am 5 lessons in. Having someone there to critique technique is what I need. What we have gone over, barring technique, is:
    learning music theory
    Scales
    The Wind that Shakes the Barley
    SWallowtail Jig
    Sandy River Belle (just got that one this week).
    My instructor believes the best way to learn, is to play tunes, and discuss the different techniques. Which I agree with-thats how I learned to play the pipes.
    Additionally, I just signed up for a year's worth of instruction on PegHEad Nation, and am doing the beginner mandolin series.
    I work overnights, alone, so I often have the time to play around while at work, and I am hoping this will benefit me.

So, thats where I am. I will post weekly updates to this thread, just to give me an idea where I am.
    As of today, I can play the Wind that Shakes the Barely ok, while reading the music (with tabs)
    I can play Swallowtail Jig, slowly, without music (I am familiar with the tune)
    I can NOT play Sandy River Belle yet, as I just got the tune, and still need to sit, listen, and emulate.

2. The following members say thank you to oldsoldier181 for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Documenting my journey

One great way to document the journey, for me at least, is with videos. They don't have to be fancy productions, although that can be a fun hobby too. I've been participating in the Tune of the Month over in the Newbies social group since not long after I started. It can be a real boost when I am down in the dumps about my "lack of progress" when I go back through my older videos and see that I actually have made a lot of progress. Plenty of encouragement and discussion over there among folks who are having fun and learning at the same time.

Come join us!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Record yourself. Its an eye opener in both directions

And fun to listen to later down the line.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Good luck oldsoldier181. When I was learning I found that after I got some chord positions down and became somewhat familiar with the neck, that playing along with some of my favorite CD's was really helpful. Frustrating yes, but it helped.

8. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    One great way to document the journey, for me at least, is with videos. They don't have to be fancy productions, although that can be a fun hobby too. I've been participating in the Tune of the Month over in the Newbies social group since not long after I started. It can be a real boost when I am down in the dumps about my "lack of progress" when I go back through my older videos and see that I actually have made a lot of progress. Plenty of encouragement and discussion over there among folks who are having fun and learning at the same time.

Come join us!
    Funny you mention this-I JUST set up one of my GoPro cameras to do exactly that!!! I will record my playing every week to check my progression

Well, this week was a total bust. My dad, who turns 80 next month, has a camp in Maine, so I spent a few days up there helping him out. Also, Laconia bike week was this week, so I spent a couple days there. Top it off with a full day at the VA hospital-didnt do anything musical at all this week. But, Saturday starts fresh, so, here's to a new week!

Some progress this week. Spent the weekend in Vegas, but brought my mandolin to play. Managed about a half hour or so this weekend. Better than nothing I suppose.
    Have been practicing regularly this week. Playing around with different scales, as well as working on the couple tunes I have. Practicing my up down picking too. As well as hitting both strings at the same time, as my instructor says I pull the pick away. So, working on little things. I cannot wait until my right hand (fret hand, I am a lefty), starts getting comfy and I can play a little faster. I try speeding up sections of tunes until I fail-then restart, painfully slow.
    I also have taken to just playing scales while watching TV. Not really doing anything with it other than that, as I am not fully into the moment when playing. Its a holdover exercise from when I was bagpiping I guess .
    Well, I have a lesson this evening, so we will see how I have progressed. Will check in next week!!

Hey, Oldsoldier181, have you heard about this jam in Waltham? It looks pretty newbie friendly - "three chords and the truth will do". It's a little far for me, but seems like it would be pretty close to you.

Are you giving out Emmy Award afterparty invitations to forum members yet? Just kidding...good luck with the journey.