Thread: Paypal poliicy question

Default Paypal poliicy question

I want to buy a used instrument. Here's the background on the possible sale. A guy is selling one I want (in Louisiana- much to far to drive) for $2K. The pictures look nice. He originally wanted me to use Venmo or Zelle for the sale as he does not have paypal. I asked him to get a paypal account and he got back to me today with information that his son has one and offered that he could do the transaction through his son's account. I seem to remember that for full paypal transaction protection, the paypal account must be the account registered to the actual seller. Is that true? The whole point of a paypal transaction is the level of security they provide. Thanks.

Default Re: Paypal poliicy question

I would pass on this one. I do not know the answer to your question. But you have no assurance on who this "son" actually is. I think the key question is WHY the seller has an issue with opening a Paypal account which requires nothing more than opening an account and attaching a bank account or cc.

if it becomes a gyration, avoid the transaction
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    if it becomes a gyration, avoid the transaction
    It usually becomes a gyration for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    It usually becomes a gyration for a reason.
    Exactly.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

As others have said, it takes nothing to setup PayPal. I don’t the specific coverage related to secondary people involved, but the messier it gets, the messier and therefore more unlikely a satisfactory resolution becomes.

If the seller is digitally savvy enough to enroll in higher risk cash apps like Venmo and Zelle, there is likely a reason they are avoiding PayPal. If you have to jump through hoops because you feel in your gut you need to protect yourself, it’s probably telling you something.

I personally wouldn’t mess with it, unless $2k isn’t of much value to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timacn View Post
    I want to buy a used instrument. Here's the background on the possible sale. A guy is selling one I want (in Louisiana- much to far to drive) for $2K. The pictures look nice. He originally wanted me to use Venmo or Zelle for the sale as he does not have paypal. I asked him to get a paypal account and he got back to me today with information that his son has one and offered that he could do the transaction through his son's account. I seem to remember that for full paypal transaction protection, the paypal account must be the account registered to the actual seller. Is that true? The whole point of a paypal transaction is the level of security they provide. Thanks.
    You asked a similar question in another thread. Not to be redundant, but others may not have read that so here's the same answer repeated, and it applies here as well. We can think of a lot more reasons why this could be even more risky. You're already being asked to use services that provide no protection, now you're being asked to bend the rules in a new way by sending money to essentially an unknown third party. Stop and think about if this is really someone you should be doing business with.

Find another seller and move on. Anyone that won't meet your terms of protecting your purchase is not worth the risk of doing business with.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jun-12-2021 at 5:49pm.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

It seems everyone's advice is that this is a bad idea.

Aphorisms like 'there's one born every minute' and 'a fool and his money is soon parted' come to mind.'

There will be another item from a reputable seller probably not far down the road.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It seems everyone's advice is that this is a bad idea.

Aphorisms like 'there's one born every minute' and 'a fool and his money is soon parted' come to mind.'

There will be another item from a reputable seller probably not far down the road.

If you really want it that bad...........pays your money and takes your ride. You asked. But are not hearing what you want.

But do let us know how it turns out either way.

If you don't get that particular mandolin, you'll be no worse off than you are today.

A former father-in-law told me, "Don't do business with a man in a hurry," to which I've added, "and when you do business, don't be a man in a hurry." This approach has served me well and saved me money and regret for over 45 years.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Plenty of good reasons here for avoiding this particular seller. Don’t do it.

Adrian Minarovic

You can ask him to relist the item by his son (if he trusts him) ...
    Adrian

OP:

You posted more than one thread about this over at the BanjoHangout, too.
    The answers you've received EVERYWHERE you've posted remain the same.
    Does this tell you something...?