Thread: Yet Another Kentucky KM-1000 Question

Default Yet Another Kentucky KM-1000 Question

Hello, fellow 8-string enthusiasts --

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me more about this Saga-era Kentucky KM-1000 I have. I've owned it for about ten years, and really like it: It's punchy, clear, and warm-sounding. Intonation is solid if not quite as precise as more expensive instruments. It's treated me well, and people always seem a little bit surprised by it.

I have no idea how old it is, and the serial number doesn't tell me much (apparently Kentucky serial numbers from this era are pretty confounding). The serial is 008015.

A few quirks about this particular instrument:
    • For some reason the original dark finish has clouded over, giving the outer edge of the top of the instrument a hazy, smoky, almost grey-green color in certain light
    • There is no "Kentucky" logo on the headstock: Just a crude fleur-de-lys.
    • Someone put a pickup on it, and when they did, they replaced the plate cover with what I've been told is a vintage Gibson cover (which they drilled two holes in). Odd. I've been offered $200 just for this plate!

Here are some images of the instrument...is anyone has any idea of its age, or even its value (not that I'm selling), I'm all ears. I love this little instrument!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	621.3 KB 
ID:	194658

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	585.3 KB 
ID:	194659

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	194660

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	194661

Thanks!

Default Re: Yet Another Kentucky KM-1000 Question

I don't know, but maybe you could communicate with someone at Saga. I bet the neck isn't original. Nitrocellulose will darken like that, I think.

3. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

The neck looks suspicious for a number of reasons.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

5. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Ask Saga but if they don't answer quickly, they're busy

That's the same oval label they were using in 1984 so i'm guessing 1980 production body with ... some neck. I think Sumi was doing inlays so the headstocks from that time should be pretty artistic.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

7. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

This is very helpful, everyone -- thank you! I never considered the neck could be a replacement. It plays pretty well...

What is the best way to get in touch with Saga these days?

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedLung View Post
    This is very helpful, everyone -- thank you! I never considered the neck could be a replacement. It plays pretty well...

What is the best way to get in touch with Saga these days?
    Google Saga Music. Their site will have contact info. I ask some questions about my KM-150 and got quick responses.

https://www.sagamusic.com/contact/

10. The following members say thank you to robhanesworth for this post:

Thank you --

I wasn't sure if today's Saga Music was at all related to their '80s incarnation. I'll drop them a line!

I spoke to a nice gentleman at Saga today, who echoed the comments above. The idea of the neck being a replacement never occurred to me, but it makes a certain amount of sense -- especially considering the weird, crude headstock.

Two things hold me back a little on fully accepting the replacement neck theory:
    • The finish work around where the heel meets the body -- the binding, etc. -- is pretty seamless. It's not impossible that a good repair person could not have pulled it off, but for a budget mandolin this feels like a lot of effort.
    • The finish on the back of the neck is exhibiting the same grey-green discoloration as the body. So the varnish on the neck is likely identical to the varnish on the body, which seems weird for a replacement. Unless someone refinished the whole thing when replacing the neck -- which, again, seems like a lot of work.

A few pics to illustrate...

Relatively smooth finish work (there is some dust in the joint):

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	194857

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	194858

Matching body/neck finish discoloration:

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	194859

It's all very interesting!

Wow, that's the 1000AV avocado model, not too many of those sold.

BTW is the bridge base fitted well to the top, didyou look underneath?
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I have KM-1000 with serial number 009 01 which displays small confined areas of a cloudy finish and 009 15 with most of the finish color clouded, similar to the OP instrument. My judgement is 008015 is a very early Maruko factory example. The craftsmen were refining their skills. Perhaps the "Kentucky" logo had not quite yet been designed? Your description of the tonal characteristics as similar to my early examples. I expect your neck is original. The other Japanese factory (Kasuga location, I believe) had this headstock inlay pattern on other models.

15. The following members say thank you to tryingtopick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Wow, that's the 1000AV avocado model, not too many of those sold.

BTW is the bridge base fitted well to the top, didyou look underneath?
    Ha! Avocado indeed...it's a strange hue. The bridge is nicely fitted: I had a pro do a setup a few years back and the whole thing is rock-solid. It plays great, intonates fairly well...

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtopick View Post
    I have KM-1000 with serial number 009 01 which displays small confined areas of a cloudy finish and 009 15 with most of the finish color clouded, similar to the OP instrument. My judgement is 008015 is a very early Maruko factory example. The craftsmen were refining their skills. Perhaps the "Kentucky" logo had not quite yet been designed? Your description of the tonal characteristics as similar to my early examples. I expect your neck is original. The other Japanese factory (Kasuga location, I believe) had this headstock inlay pattern on other models.
    Very interesting...I'm getting less convinced by the replacement neck theory, because of the similar finish degradation, but that headstock inlay is so poorly executed compared to the rest of the instrument.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had that issue with the finish...