Thread: Ellis vs Hester

Default Ellis vs Hester

I am blessed to have two outstanding instruments from two different approaches, F5 and F4. They just seen to approach music from a different perspective. When playing grass, the Ellis is about as good as it gets. You can play acceptable grass with an F4, but just is not optimal. When in a grass mode, the Hester gets a back seat. People listening will tell me how much better the Ellis sounds. I will begin to believe is not of the same quality. Then, I play a little folk fiddle tunes with the Hester, and any doubts about that beauty evaporate. I am blessed to have two truly superior instruments that are life time keepers.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Ellis vs Hester

I think you should play more grass, Tony . . .
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Different wrenches for different nuts!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I got busy before I could finish my comparison. The Ellis has sharp clear highs with strong woody sounding basses. It has those really strong bluegrass four finger chop. The Hester has sweeter more rounded highs. The bass notes are more similar to the highs, not distinct entities like the Ellis. The Ellis is powerful and drives. The Hester sings. The Ellis powers through in a band situation or jam. The Hester compliments. Both can stand up in any genres.

You have a great collection Red. Great instruments with distinct voices. Not much overlap. Got yer bases covered!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

Thank you, Chuck. I really attempted to do as you noticed, attain the best to me in different categories that mean something to me. I do not play traditional Italian mandolin, so no tater bugs for me. What a long journey, with a lot of twists and turns. I definitely went down some expensive rabbit holes, especially in the earlier stages of my mandolin experiences. I really don't regret most of the purchases I made. The worst ones were due to ingnorance I can than Mandolin Cafe for greatly expanding my mandolin knowledge. It's been a long time since my last mandolin whoops. Thanks guys