Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What price level and up gets you a "lifelong keeper" mandolin?

Default Re: What price level and up gets you a "lifelong keeper" mandolin

When my dad died I got to a dealer and made my list of specs in a CS MAertin 000. Martin came back and said everything he wants in a guitar we already make but it only comes in a sunburst. I appreciated that from Martin it saved me a fortune. I ordered it never having played one and it came in and was perfect. I didn't play another guitar for almost 10 years. It is still my #1. 000- are fabulous congrats on that purchase!

@James Vwaal maybe I missed it but do you have a list of specs and tones you are really striving for? Or did you find one already. I am curious.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: What price level and up gets you a "lifelong keeper" mandolin

My two cents (discounted by inflation etc.) This depends on your (in order) needs, goals, aspirations etc. If you are an aspiring performer, buy the most expensive mandolin you can steal, connive, finance etc that you can. If you plan to play in your bedroom, buy what you can afford. In either case, get it professionally set up and find someone to mentor you. Currently I only perform at Chinese New Year with the grandkids I have taught and no one there knows the difference between a 10,000 dollar instrument and a 200 dollar instrument. I still appreciate the applause, but secretly I know it is for the kids.