Thread: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

Default Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

I'm thinking about buying Northfield Airloom Deluxe case for my Givens Legacy mandolin (cause I'm a bit fan of oblong cases and having extra space as well).

I've seen that Northfield announced their 'new and improved' case recently - https://www.northfieldinstruments.co...-mandolin-case, but I can't find what was exactly improved there - I've asked them via email but no reply so far.
    The only thread I've found on cafe is this one - https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rom-Northfield - and there's not much information about exact specifications change either.

Maybe there're some of you folks who own both of them or know some details? Any info would be appreciated.

Default Re: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

I believe they've changed the exterior finish from a matte black treatment to a glossy black. I think no other changes (structurally) have been made... just the change from matte to glossy.

Mold shapes renewed. Exterior finishing is much improved with stronger coating, and it’s glossy whereas as the old was a matte that took on paints from scrapes and scratches. All work surrounding the gasket sealing, rivet setting, glue work in the interior blocks and around parts of the case has been improved. Structurally the same as before.

4. The following members say thank you to Northfield mando for this post:

I have the new version, with case cover. I had the old version, with case cover. Huge improvement, all around.

I have a 1.0, I like it. It is sleek, with ample storage. My only complaint is that it does not protect the bridge area from receiving pressure in the event of a strike or weight to the top of the case. It does not suspend the case lid at tail and neck like other travel case designs. I have to be cautious when loading it into band vehicle, to ensure that it doesn’t get banged around. It is not a flight/road case. Unfortunately the re design of 2.0 did not address this weakness(per my inquiry to NF re this feature).
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

7. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Thank you for all the answers, it's much more clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I have a 1.0, I like it. It is sleek, with ample storage. My only complaint is that it does not protect the bridge area from receiving pressure in the event of a strike or weight to the top of the case. It does not suspend the case lid at tail and neck like other travel case designs. I have to be cautious when loading it into band vehicle, to ensure that it doesn’t get banged around. It is not a flight/road case. Unfortunately the re design of 2.0 did not address this weakness(per my inquiry to NF re this feature).
    That sounds worrying. What's the point of having the case then if I always have to keep an eye on it and make sure nobody puts anything on top of it?

9. The following members say thank you to Roman Pekar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    Thank you for all the answers, it's much more clear now.

That sounds worrying. What's the point of having the case then if I always have to keep an eye on it and make sure nobody puts anything on top of it?
    That was my exact thought. It would add an inch to the profile, so what. Perhaps NF will respond and address this concern…
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

For our OP:

How about a Hiscox case? May take a while to obtain, however it is oblong, very protective, and not a great deal of money.

https://www.hiscoxcases.com/products/mandolin-hard-case

12. The following members say thank you to Bogle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    That was my exact thought. It would add an inch to the profile, so what. Perhaps NF will respond and address this concernÂ…
    Couple things:

Thanks for the question and input. We designed this case to be a nod to the original vintage oblong cases with improvements to storage and strength. ItÂ’s not the most streamlined or high impact case possible, by design, on the market. There are a few obstacles, like creating a high arch while maintaining the profile, but we found a balance that we feel works for most mandolins, players and travel conditions. After all, we first designed this to work with our own mandolins and arching while trying to make it as universal as possible AND use a process that would allow it so sell for what it does, not hundred$ more. There are of course exceptions to perfect function, both in mandolins and travel conditions and/or requirements. I think there always will be. I know many people that have $1000 cases that they rarely used because, while theyÂ’re seemingly bullet proof, theyÂ’re bulky and heavy and out of step with everyday use.

IÂ’d personally never check a mandolin on an airplane and so profile (for fitting inside an overhead - I do a lot of international traveling) was a key feature. IÂ’ve never had trouble with someone trying to jam stuff on top of my case because I could always fit my bag on top of the case and secure my space without worrying. There are deeper oblong and arrowhead shaped cases out there and I personally find them to be overbuilt for most applications. Forcing this type of case into a small space with pressure on both sides is something we can look at but deeper sides and a taller arch would be more easily done on a different shape to avoid increasing this caseÂ’s footprint or having to redo the design and molds.

WeÂ’ve sold several hundred Deluxe cases in its nearly 10 year history and the only issues weÂ’ve run into were the cosmetic and shell issues we addressed in the upgrade. We do have plans for more improvement but IÂ’ll leave that for another day. For anyone wondering if itÂ’ll fit their mandolin or their travel needs weÂ’re happy to talk through dimensions, take photos etc and get specific about the case and cover combo. We offer refunds for online sales and we have other case options as well.

Hope this helps.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post: