Thread: YoYo Ma

Default YoYo Ma

The cello is a big low mandolin like thing to me. Have others been inspired by YoYo Ma? His free to all Beginners Mind audio book is really powrefull.
    https://www.audible.com/pd/Beginners...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: YoYo Ma

The audio book is long. This youtube is short.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiwkBFR6rW0&t=3s

4. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

The thing about Yo Yo Ma is his technical expertise is exceeded only by his passion for music. He is equally at home with Shostakovitch as much as he is with Bill Monroe. His playing on Appalachian Waltz with Mark O'Connor and Edgar Meyer has secured his place in contemporary American Folk Music, not to mention his work with Goat Rodeo ( Stuart Duncan, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer and Yo Yo Ma), His collaboration with Bobby McFerrin was a great success in bringing attention to the beauty of the cello in "pop" music ( although I'm not sure I call that album pop music). He surely has already taken his seat as one of the great performers of this era.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth, when I listen to performances of Saint-Saëns' Le Cygne (The Swan) to inspire phrasing and pace in playing my own mandolin arrangement, I gravitate to Yo-Yo Ma's duo performances.

I'm active in my local classical music scene. I know a guy who tended to Yo-Yo Ma's transportation needs when Yo-Yo was here on tour a decade or two ago. My acquaintance confided that Yo-Yo is (or at least was) a fan of dirty jokes. A very likably human superhuman artist.

8. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

MrMoe 

Yo Yo is a pretty decent picker, plus has the coolest possible name.

Don't forget his work with the Silk Road Ensemble or his championship of the Bach cello suites ...

I have recordings of Ma playing everything from baroque to Romantic to contemporary classical music, jazz, tangos, American folk, newgrass, Chinese and Central Asian music, pop, and Christmas tunes. Dude can and does hang with anyone.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

MrMoe 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure if I'm inspired by him, but I am impressed with his skill, his adventurous spirit, his open-mindedness, and his humor. The 2015 documentary about his Silk Road Ensemble was an astounding overview of this fascinating group of musicians and the music they play. It introduced me to several facets of music and instruments from all over the world of which I formerly had been unaware - Cristina Pato's gaita (Galician bagpipe), Kayhan Kalhor's kamancheh (a Persian bowed instrument), Kinan Azmeh's Syrian clarinet, Wu Man's pipa (Chinese fretted instrument) - so much. He seems ready, willing, and able to play with just about anyone. Just last night I saw a clip of him playing a snippet of Britney Spears' "Toxic" in an appearance on Desus & Mero's show. This came a week or so after he had played a piece from Bach (I think) as a tribute to Midori at the Kennedy Center Honors. And how about him pulling out his cello to pass some time while waiting for his required 15 minutes to pass after getting his Covid shot? He is a global treasure. He's welcome to play with me any time - with a little notice.

I see "The Music of Strangers" is available on Amazon Prime. I'll have to travel there again.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

This is so burned into my tiny brain that I can't think of Yo Yo Ma without Mark O'Conner and Edgar Meyer coming to mind.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

BhiyaoDougCMrMoe 

I have his classic 1983 Bach Cello Suites catalog. It is awesome. Lead to me buying Daniel Selman's mandolin transcriptions of them. I've only got #1 Prelude so far.
    His Bach Trios with Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer is similarly great (helped by his companions, of course).

16. The following members say thank you to M19 for this post:

MrMoe 

My Mom describes him as a national treasure. I agree.

Besides his incredible musical accomplishments Ma also has a reputation as a thoroughly decent human being. If you have half an hour, watch his recent appearance on Firing Line. I particularly enjoyed the section where he discusses amateur music-making.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

EugeneMrMoe 

I have read The Rise and Fall Of The Third Reich and other books about World War Two. There is not as much about China as there is about Europe. His parents story has me reading about China and the rest of Asia. His parents were lucky. There were an estimated 35,000,000 Chinese casualties with 15.000.000 to 20,000,000 kiled.
    I would like to know more about how they made it to Paris.

Blog Entries

Yo-Yo Ma does things like this, a couple days ago. He amazes me.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

EugeneMrMoe 

He is always quick to do something for what ever community he may hapen to be in. I wish I had known to be paying attention when I lived in Boston and worked in Cambridge in the 80s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Yo Yo is a pretty decent picker, plus has the coolest possible name.
    Well, there is his cousin, Yo Ma Ma. But his talent lacks the zest of his name.

25. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: