Thread: D string intonation

Default D string intonation

Why would intonation of one of the two D strings be off?

It makes sense to me that both might be off for some reason, but why one and not the other?

It is solid in D, but one of the two strings becomes sharper up the neck, while the other stays solid. WTF?!

Default Re: D string intonation

My best guess would be that the nut is filed unevenly so that one of your D-strings is sitting slightly higher off the fretboard than the other. If this is the case, then they will sound fine when plucked together open, but when you fret them one of them has to stretch further which will raise its frequency slightly above the other. A similar problem of uneven height could be caused by a faulty bridge too.

Other less likely issues I can think of are uneven frets, or maybe your fretting technique for whatever reason tends to slightly sharpen one of the strings.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.R. Jersey For This Useful Post:

Thanks! The filing issue sounds the more likely to me than the frets as you mention it, since the issue doesn't fluctuate, but gets consistently sharper down the string.

Thanks!

It could just be a bad string. I would change strings before doing anything else.

6. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Phillipe. another, admittedly rare, possiblilty is that you have a rogue string! Modern strings are very consistently made but once in a while you might get a faulty one.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

8. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Interesting! I hadn't considered the string possibility! I'll start there. Thank you John and Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    It could just be a bad string. I would change strings before doing anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Phillipe. another, admittedly rare, possiblilty is that you have a rogue string! Modern strings are very consistently made but once in a while you might get a faulty one.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipeTaylor View Post
    Interesting! I hadn't considered the string possibility! I'll start there. Thank you John and Steve!
    Definitely start here. I had a similar problem a few years back with A strings in a set of FTs with a wound A. Checked nut, frets, bridge, neck relief, but nothing amiss. Changed the strings, and--like magic--problem solved.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

11. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

Hey, it gives you that warbling tone for free, no need to buy a chorus pedal! Seriously, I'm betting on the string too. Seems highly unlikely a nut slot could be high enough to alter the intonation. I think you would notice it when playing if they weren't level.

13. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Make sure your nut slots are filed with an angle back towards the tuners. This assures a clean break at the edge of the nut. It can make a big difference in intonation.

Second, make sure your strings are legitimate. I spoke with a D’Addario employee who told me they are constantly on the lookout for counterfeits of their strings. The cheap strings shipped with Chinese-built instruments are usually shockingly bad. YMMV.

15. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

Thank you everybody for the help!

I changed the string, and what do you know? It fixed it! (whew).

Thanks again for all your help. Mandolin cafe rocks!

Always satisfying when a (relatively) cheap solution is the correct one.

Glad it worked out.

18. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post: