Thread: 1916 A tailpiece

Default 1916 A tailpiece

Were there any variations of tailpieces on early A’s? I’ve snagged an old A with an “armrest” style tailpiece, for lack of a better term. I assume this was a replacement at some point.
    Who makes an affordable correct “the Gibson” reproduction?
    (I still can’t post photos from my iPad or iPhone)

Default Re: 1916 A tailpiece

I’m sure several of us could point you to this Gibson replica tailpiece from Prucha, it is a good one. Plenty of original tailpieces are available at a higher cost if you watch the classifieds here.

https://gregboyd.com/product/prucha-...son-logo-gold/

Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C712092-171D-4B63-B2E8-A69AF5FBFEA8.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	624.0 KB 
ID:	194746
    Mark Lynch

Thanks

Teacher, repair person

To answer the question about variations in Gibson tailpieces in the 1910's, I believe that all Gibson models made in 1916 were shipped with the same tailpieces. The Prucha reproduction Mark linked you to is your best bet unless you want to spend a lot more for an original; or you can use a plain unengraved tailpiece with the same shape, available from several sources for $15 - $20.

Earlier Gibsons used what is known as a "pineapple" tailpiece. These are replaced by the style shown in Mark's picture around 1910 or so. And some of the budget models, such as the Army/Navy and A-Jr., used a "clamshell" tailpiece, but these models did not start to become available until a year or two after your mandolin was built. By the 1930's, the clamshell tailpieces become common on many models.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-17-2021 at 4:54pm.