Thread: Preferred hot hide glue temp

Default Preferred hot hide glue temp

I am curious what temps you like to use for your HHG? I was using an old mini crock pot I set up with a rack in the bottom and a glass jar I would set in the water but it got very hot, only one temp, so I would cycle the power to keep it hot but not boiling hot. I saw a glue pot online and the temp went from 225 to over 400f which seems way to hot. I doubt I was even letting it get past 200 probably closer to 150-175. I didn’t use a thermometer but it was hot enough you didn’t want to touch it at all.
    Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: Preferred hot hide glue temp

I've always read that 150 degrees Fahrenheit is correct.
    Personally, I have a genuine glue pot rather than a crock pot or other improvised set up. There is no temperature adjustment, so I just use the glue at the temperature that comes from the pot and I don't actually know what that temperature is. The glue works fine and doesn't deteriorate prematurely in the pot so the temperature must be OK.
    (I bought the glue pot second hand but unused at a much smaller price than new or I would be using a "Crockette" or some other sort of small crock pot because they are so easy to find and work so well.)

I use a wax heater similar to this one, it's easy to maintain the temp (150 avg.) I use a temp probe to monitor. I keep my glue in a small mason jar, small batches go far, put it in fridge capped and ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wax heater.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	194775  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Teacher, repair person

150 is the recommended temperature I have always heard. 175 is too hot.

A miniature crock pot is ok if it is fully variable. I let the water heat by itself for a few minutes before I put the glue jar in, then let it sit for a few minutes more before I use the glue.

I don't have a thermometer either. I really should get one. Right now my gauge is I should be able to just touch the water for a second or less.

143 to 150 should be good I have not had any failures on ones I have that are 35 years old.

Thanks all, like I said I was just guestimating at the temp I was at. I am buying a thermometer today. I could just touch it with s finger and it was hot! And in my infinite wisdom, I touched the glue so it was hot longer than just touching the water. oops. I still don't know why a glue pot would start at 225 and go up to over 400F. Perhaps there are other glues that need to be that hot. I have no idea but it sure seemed hot to me.

I use a travel pot for heating soups and things. It's variable temp and I put an aluminum piece in to keep the glue suspended in the water off the bottom. I have a thermometer and keep the glue 145-150. If you use tap water you will have to clean the soup pot on occasion as it will change temp from the lime build up.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've got one of those dorm room electric soup pots. I use a double boiler glue pot inside it that I bought years ago. There's a variable t-stat on the pot, but I leave it at the lowest setting and it ends up just right to keep at 145-150F. I used to keep a thermometer in it at all times, but I found I don't need it anymore.

150 is at the top end of reasonable temperature for heating and maintaining hide glue. Higher temps degrade the glues bonding strength more rapidly when maintained there for extended periods of time. I spent the money and popped for a Herdim glue pot since I use hot hide so frequently. Keeps the glue temperature very stable, only varying a few degrees while it cycles on and off. I keep mine right around 140 but don't mind if it's a bit less. It's more important to get the parts to be glued good and warmed up. If that isn't practical I'll get my glue a bit hotter but then reduce the heater temperature when thats done.

I might have to swap out the dial for variable resistor/rheostat but what better pot for my hide glue!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B7CE99D-6961-4FD3-9DC7-6AB5B125BAD5.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	540.1 KB 
ID:	194880

I use (currently) a little Proctor Silex Hotpot kind of thing. I keep a thermometer in it, not touching the bottom. I keep it right about 140. I also put the HHG after the initial making of it, into little plastic bottles with little squirt tubes on top. Each one probably holds 1/3 of a cup. I also put 4-5 stainless steel hex nuts in each bottle, a trick I learned from Mario Proulx many years ago. The steel seems to keep the glue warm longer after the bottle comes out of the water. I think it was Mario that also told me to make sure you have a timer on it so that if you forget to turn it off when you leave the shop, the timer shuts it off and you don't come in the next morning with a dry ruined hot pot.

12. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Nevin 

Dale, I like the idea of the stainless nuts. I have a similar pot but I plug it into a strip which I turn off to turn off the bench light. Yes I have forgot to unplug the glue pot, but when the light goes off so does the pot. My little safety.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I might have to swap out the dial for variable resistor/rheostat but what better pot for my hide glue!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B7CE99D-6961-4FD3-9DC7-6AB5B125BAD5.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	540.1 KB 
ID:	194880
    John the variable resistor won't have a temperature sensor, that is what you need to turn it off and on to keep a constant temp.

Ah then this is wired a bit differently than I was thinking but I can still mod it so it works the way I want just change my plan a bit. I won’t know until I look inside.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Ah then this is wired a bit differently than I was thinking but I can still mod it so it works the way I want just change my plan a bit. I won’t know until I look inside.
    Maybe it has a thermostat inside, looking will tell.