Thread: Scale Exercises Using Triplets, For Example

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Scale Exercises Using Triplets, For Example

My teacher has me playing "G Scale Exercise Using Triplets" from Bud Orr's Anthology of Music. She suggested I find the same exercise in other major keys. I've been playing the other scales without notation, but, admittedly, not as smoothly as if I had the notation in front of me. I haven't been able to find what I feel are similar triplet exercises online so was thinking of using one of the programs I've recently downloaded to do so.

So, my question relates to the best use of my time and where I'll find the greatest value. I've never even written music out from MuseScore, for example. So, there is a learning curve there. I can see value in both playing scales without the music and creating the music to play from. If you recommend creating the exercises, what program(s) do you like for something like this?

Default Re: Scale Exercises Using Triplets, For Example

I just make them up and don’t write them down. If you know closed position scales, you can easily, albeit slowly, figure them out. Start with A, index finger on root, the B, middle finger on root, C, ring finger on root, change strings and continue.

Triplets are, for me, a bit awkward crossing strings. Some positions are easier than others, and pinkies are weaker than index fingers.

Everybody learns differently, use what works for you.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I just make them up and don’t write them down. If you know closed position scales, you can easily, albeit slowly, figure them out. Start with A, index finger on root, the B, middle finger on root, C, ring finger on root, change strings and continue.
    This is what I've been doing. I know the notes well; where I hesitate is playing the correct "backward" note, if that's makes sense.

It sure does, and I have struggled with it too. its kind of what practice is all about, work through the hard stuff until it becomes easy.

Some things are easy, some are not. If it were all easy, everybody would do it. Think of all the banjo players we'd have

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It sure does, and I have struggled with it too. its kind of what practice is all about, work through the hard stuff until it becomes easy.

Some things are easy, some are not. If it were all easy, everybody would do it. Think of all the banjo players we'd have
    So, Bill, you're saying don't spend time creating notation? That's how i'm leaning.

As I said, use what works for you.

But you also asked about ‘best use of time’, and you said you’re doing it by memory but making mistakes on the downward passes. You have to judge if the time spent in memorizing the downward scale position by ear is a better investment of time than learning to use a new program. Both will have virtues beyond this immediate issue.

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Check out posts #16 and #17 by Zoukboy in this thread. These exercises have been really helpful for me in the past. I really need to "diggity dig dig" and "dig dig diggity" back into them.

9. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post: