Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NMD and a little story

Default Re: NMD and a little story

Nine is the perfect age to start an instrument. She's old enough to practice without help, mature enough to easily learn tab, notation, or whatever other system the book uses, and as you described, she was capable of learning how to tune. She'll be off and running in no time. Have fun teaching her!

I'm so glad to hear Ayden is healed up. Ah, the beauty of being 17 . . .

2. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

That’s awesome Sheila!
    My oldest daughter visited last week and I was super happy when she picked up the uke in the spare room and started playing some chords. She has her own uke but hasn’t gotten to the level obsession yet where she carries it all around the country like I do with my mandos

4. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    So wait, do you have a ukulele, too? I don't see it on your list
    I would think you would need one now.

(That's a cool story, BTW. What a great way to bond with your granddaughter across the miles !)
    Sue, I don't have a ukulele yet. I have my eye on one, but we're wrangling with the insurance company over some storm damage, and I'm doing my best to exercise spending restraint until that mess is resolved.

Meanwhile, Fiona, who's the size of a tenor guitar, makes a fine stand-in. She's the proper shape (or close enough) for me to demonstrate how to hold the instrument, she has 4 courses, so I can demonstrate fretting ok, too, when needed. Then I move my fingers around so my G chord sounds like her G chord.

I think Miss Daphne Kate may have a lap steel guitar in her future. She always wants to lay her ukulele flat in her lap (I believe so she can see everything.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    That’s awesome Sheila!
    My oldest daughter visited last week and I was super happy when she picked up the uke in the spare room and started playing some chords. She has her own uke but hasn’t gotten to the level obsession yet where she carries it all around the country like I do with my mandos
    Imagine a world where standard hospitality included maintaining instruments for frequent visitors who are musicians.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Nine is the perfect age to start an instrument. She's old enough to practice without help, mature enough to easily learn tab, notation, or whatever other system the book uses, and as you described, she was capable of learning how to tune. She'll be off and running in no time. Have fun teaching her!

I'm so glad to hear Ayden is healed up. Ah, the beauty of being 17 . . .
    Thanks, Louise. I appreciate the supportive words. My daughter studied music education, she married a musician, and Daphne's biggest brother is a musician, too, so she has plenty of on-site support if she needs it. And she sees people doing musical things around her.

Thanks, too, for the kind words about Ayden. He did give us a scare. We'll see them this weekend. It'll be good to see him back to his old self.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.