Thread: Trading instruments in the classified

Default Trading instruments in the classified

I'm interested in trading for a guitar posted in the classifieds, but can't find what the proper protocol for making such a transaction would be.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Trading instruments in the classified

You can reply to the ad and ask the seller if they are interested in a trade.

They are fine with trading. I wasn't sure how each person verified that they weren't being suckered into mailing a guitar off to a stranger and seeing nothing in return.

Teacher, repair person

Any internet sale is a risk. There is no foolproof way to verify such a transaction. I like to talk to people over the phone when I do any business over the internet. I can get some idea of a person's character when I can hear their voice, but that's not foolproof either. If they won't talk to me over the phone, there will be no transaction. If he is within driving distance, perhaps you can meet somewhere at a public location.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

You're pretty new here........ does the other party have a track record of posts or transactions?

Somewhat expensive with fees, but you can "sell' each other your instruments for the same price using PayPal. Then you have the buyer protection from PayPal if things head south. That said, I've done several trades on the Cafe with no issues. I think Scott and Dan do a great job of behind the scenes security and fraud protection...
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

You haven't mentioned what the value of these instruments are. A couple hundred bucks well maybe you take a flyer. Any more not for me. I agree with scotta above. Consider each transaction individually. I'm selling you my instrument for X amount of dollars and you are selling me your instrument for the same.
    My preferred method has been USPS money order for traceability reasons.
    But choose your own way to protect your asset.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

I've done a lot of trading in the past from the classifieds here. I always found comfort in having a telephone conversation first.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djweiss For This Useful Post:

Yes, phone call is a really good misunderstanding avoider, skype calls work pretty well if you have decent microphone plugged into interface into computer
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

12. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

I've traded before with great results. We simply set a day to send our instruments, after the instruments were in transit, we took a photo of the receipt and tracking number and texted it. That said, I wouldn't do an exchange like that anywhere but the cafe.

14. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

The only exchanges I've done on the Cafe were through sponsors (Thanks MandoMutt & Elderly Instruments!!) but I find my one's level of confidence in the deal is in direct proportion to the response of the other party. Whether here or on other sites, protocol hasn't ever come up anymore than conversations. And pictures. And maybe a phone call...

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Once I have a mailing address I do a google satellite search to view the place I am sending it to. I'm not sure what I actually gain by this except perhaps a little piece of mind that I'm not mailing to a location that looks shady.
    I never did a trade but I like Scotta's suggestion of using PayPal. I, personally, do not find PayPal fees exorbitant. I have sold a few mandolins here and purchased several without a problem. I always ask for, when purchasing and offer when selling, a 24 hour trial period with the buyer paying postage both ways if not satisfied.
    When selling I try to describe my instrument as accurately as possible with no attempt to oversell. I have found all of my purchases to be as described and at least three to exceed expectations.
    This site seems to me to have a very honorable group of followers and the Cafe does a good job of outing those that are not.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Blog Entries

All these protocols I'm sure are good. I actually do believe in them as well. At the end of the day I pretty much look at how long they've been a cafe member. If a week probably not doing business. If a long time member then I'm doing business. I purchased a cream colored calton off the cafe years ago from a long time member and this gentleman sent me the calton before I could get to the bank and purchase the money order. He was with in 4 hours of me and it showed up at my house in a day and a half. I messaged him and explained that I was getting the money order that day but the case just showed up USPS. His Exact words to me was "Stephen if you can't trust someone here on the cafe then you cannot trust anybody" and to enjoy the case. I got the money order that day sent it and all was completed and everyone was happy. Again the only thing I look at is longevity.

18. The following members say thank you to Stephen Cagle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Once I have a mailing address I do a google satellite search to view the place I am sending it to. I'm not sure what I actually gain by this except perhaps a little piece of mind that I'm not mailing to a location that looks shady.

This site seems to me to have a very honorable group of followers and the Cafe does a good job of outing those that are not.
    I am sure if you searched my location you would think it looks shady. I have had several transactions on the cafe and all good. Looks can be deceiving.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

20. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

All good advice above. I traded a Weber Hyalite OM for a Collings MT with a gent in Massachusetts several years ago, and it went splendidly. I don’t believe we ever spoke on the phone but did exchange several emails, and we both volunteered some work info so we could verify with whom we were dealing (as neither of us did much on social media outside of the Cafe, lol). There’s always a leap of faith, but Scott and the crew do a great job monitoring the classifieds and keep out the troublemakers as best they can.
    Chuck

I did a high end trade a couple of years ago that worked out great for both of us. We did talk on the phone and I also recognized my trader as fairly active on these boards. I have done probably two other trades and in none did I ever lose out. However my fingers are always crossed.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ironic as it may be, I've had more than a few transactions with people who seemed very responsible yet the deal went south and I got hosed. I've also had some fantastic ones where I literally met someone behind a truck stop in rural Tennessee & West Virginia with a brown paper bag full of cash and within ten minutes they were my new best friend.

Many days a solid handshake with a respectable human goes a lot farther that fancy titles and internet provenance...
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

24. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

FredK