Thread: Good tone on long chords?

Default Good tone on long chords?

I'm slowing down for a while to let a right arm strain fix, so I'm going for chords now. As a mandolin beginner, I can hear the difference between a good and a poor tone playing tunes, and have some idea how to develop that - but how about chords? I'm talking about playing 3 or 4 note chords long strummed - not arpeggiated or 'chopped' for the moment, so you can hear all the notes sustaining with as few buzzes, thwunks, etc as possible. Any tips please?

Thanks, Max

Default Re: Good tone on long chords?

These sheets are from mandozine. They are sort of similar to ffcp for chords. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice-Sheets (1).pdf 
Views:	174 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	194846

3. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    I'm slowing down for a while to let a right arm strain fix, so I'm going for chords now. As a mandolin beginner, I can hear the difference between a good and a poor tone playing tunes, and have some idea how to develop that - but how about chords? I'm talking about playing 3 or 4 note chords long strummed - not arpeggiated or 'chopped' for the moment, so you can hear all the notes sustaining with as few buzzes, thwunks, etc as possible. Any tips please?

Thanks, Max
    Well for me Max I don't really do anything different chords or single notes, tone wise. I keep my BC picks, w/ speed bevel, at about 30 degrees to the strings and pretty shallow depending on desired attack. I also hold the pick leaving only 1/4" or less exposed. And stay as close to the fretboard and beyond that you can. Just watch the pick click when over the fretboard.

5. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

maxr 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

The tips are pretty basic.

1. Keep your arm, shoulder, hand, wrist & fingers as relaxed as possible.
    2. Place your fingertips very near the active fret - not in the middle between two frets, but very near the stop fret.
    3. Use the least necessary pressure required to stop the string and get a clear note.
    4. Make sure all the strings used in the chord are ringing clearly. If any notes are dead or buzzing, make the micro adjustments necessary to get all clear notes. Pluck each string independently while holding the chord to verify that you’re fretting cleanly, and adjust to eliminate problems.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post: