Thread: Transcribing guitar solo for mandolin

Default Transcribing guitar solo for mandolin

Are there any services out there that can take a guitar solo from a video and transcribe it for mandolin? I could probably do this over time, but am looking for a quicker solution.

Alan
    acinva

Resident Hack

Default Re: Transcribing guitar solo for mandolin

I find to get the right feel for it, I have to essentially rewrite it. Due to the differences in intervals from tuning, not everything in the original will work properly in a straight 1-1 note translation (just like any language). Elliot Easton's solo for The Cars "My Best Friend's Girlfriend" is a perfect example. He starts out with an ascending set of four four-note runs but on mando, it sounds better and makes more sense to drop the last one down an octave.

I use an app on my phone that lets me slow down and loop parts, to slowly move through the solo and find a working riff for each run in the original.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Not exacting what you’re looking for but, for Apple at least this app converts .abc files quickly to guitar tab.
    After a short while of playing fiddle tunes on guitar the solos would maybe come naturally...

https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/abc-vi...192764446?l=en

Thanks for the suggestions.

Alan
    acinva

A couple of years back, someone advertised transcription services in the Classifieds. I contacted the lady and she transcribed some music for me into standard notation (she had asked my preference). The charge was only $7, but I paid $10 because the tune was a long one. The turn around was fast. If you are interested in the lady's contact details, please PM me.

I suspect that she used some type of software to turn the audio into notes, and then went through and made appropriate corrections, or interpretations. There were a couple of notes off that I corrected by ear, but it sure was faster than trying to do the entire tune by ear.