Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The shipping problem

Default Re: The shipping problem

We have a UPS facility in town here as well as a post office and a Fedex store 15 minuted away so I get the price for shipping in advance. I just shipped a vintage guitar and estimates for Fedex and UPS were close but USPS about $20 more. Still cost was $180 including insurance via Fedex. The upside that it not only got there safe and sound but arrived two days early. I seem to recall that the last guitar I shipped was about 1/2 that cost.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I finally got a Heritage policy for my instruments which covers shipping. All in all the policy ended up being less than 1% of the instrument prices. I think with the amount I have paid for shipping insurance each year it will easily pay for itself several times over and now I don't have to deal with that worry. Plus I have heard that for instruments insurance through the shipper is basically a scam AND to top it off if you use USPS you have to use some weird shipping method if you go over a certain dollar amount.

Be glad you don't have to ship upright basses!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	198258  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

UPS allows “declared value” whatever that is. It’s not insurance and will not cover loss/damage. If you have a local music shop they may allow you to ship on their account which is covered by their insurance.

Other options may be available from one’s primary insurer, the homeowner’s policy may cover the instrument if not a pro and a seperate rider may be available.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Be glad you don't have to ship upright basses!
    That picture reminds me of the time my friendly local music store owner called me and asked me to take a look at his nephew's Gibson J-50, which the nephew had backed over with his truck.

Not one piece of wood was unbroken. The nephew looked at me with a wistful expression, and asked "Can you fix it??"
    I answered as gently as I could: "Nooo . . . ."

I had gone to the post office today to send a small padded envelope (7" x 4" x 1") with some tuners from Minnesota to Toronto. Cheapest way was 14.25 for 1st class but they said expect delivery in six weeks! They could move the timeframe up to "approx" 5-7 days (no guarantees because of customs) for 42.00. Not sure what to think about that......is there another way that I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    That picture reminds me of the time my friendly local music store owner called me and asked me to take a look at his nephew's Gibson J-50, which the nephew had backed over with his truck.

Not one piece of wood was unbroken. The nephew looked at me with a wistful expression, and asked "Can you fix it??"
    I answered as gently as I could: "Nooo . . . ."
    A+ response!

That bass took about 7 months effort, but it is back up and playing gigs again. I tried to get him to set it on fire and move on, but he was very emotionally attached to it so I helped him take it on as a student project where he did most of the work while I guided him along. Imagine Bill Monroe's busted up mandolin if it was 6 foot tall...3 lbs of hot hide glue later and it lives!

I use more hot hide glue in six months of bass work than most successful mandolin builders will use in a lifetime; possibly on just that one bass!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I avoid shipping musical instruments but for other electronics I’ve found that by signing up for an account on the UPS or Fedex websites you get much better rates than at the stores. You can print a label, attach it and just drop off the box at a UPS/Fedex depot or at the local mailbox store with no added cost. YMMV
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.