Thread: Levin/Reuven top this week's Billboard /Classical!

Default Levin/Reuven top this week's Billboard /Classical!

'Music From the Promised Land", Adam Levin (guitar) and Jacob Reuven's (mandolin) landmark recording on Naxos reached #1 on this week's Billboard Classical ranking. (#2 is a new release by YoYo Ma and Emanual Ax.). A real triumph for the mandolin and guitar worlds! Check it out if you haven't given it a listen yet (available on CD/Spotify). It's a masterpiece of mostly new compositions. Truly groundbreaking instrumental music.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psymando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Levin/Reuven top this week's Billboard /Classical!

Somewhere, Norman Levine is smiling.

Somewhere, H. L. Mencken is smiling: "A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."

Just sayn'...

Awesome!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

6. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

MFTPL #1 on the Billboard classical chart for the 2nd week. A mandolin first?

OK, OK, a little over the top, perhaps. I am, as you may have already surmised, an 'interested party' shall we say (personally, not professionally)and a mandolin/guitar aficionado. That having been said, I'd be interested in other Cafe members' impressions of the recording which is both virtuosic and compositionally unlike anything I've ever heard before (and decidedly NOT what you're probably imagining). Start with the Bardanashvili, the Friedlin or the Rosenbaum. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. And, I mean, when's the last time an all instrumental mandolin and guitar recording made it to the top of Billboard? My own biases aside, there really is something pretty extraordinary going on here. God bless. I don't post on MC very often but find myself obsessively visiting the site three or four times a day. Life would be pretty empty without it.