Thread: Two Kentucky KM950s that got away.

Default Two Kentucky KM950s that got away.

A while ago there was a thread about someone buying a KM1500 (I think) on the Canadian Amazon. Consider this a follow up.

Now I'm all in favour of supporting real stores. My two good mandolins both came from stores (the latest from the Mandolin Store). But sometimes.... Amazon.ca had two KM950s. I watched the price of them fall to under 900 Canadian. (That's about 700 US vs 1600 to buy it anywhere else). I didn't really need it but was waiting one more day to decide when somebody bought one. The price of the remaining mandolin shot back up to 1700 Canadian. After two or three weeks it dropped to 1300. And every day after that it dropped more, till it got to about 1100. I told myself that if it went below 900 again I'd get it but somebody bought it at 1100. Now it is out of stock and I doubt they will get any more.

My congrats to the two people who got them. (Anyone out there?) Probably needed them more than me. I hope they are enjoying their new mandos. Still, they will be among the ones that got away.
    Cary Fagan

Default Re: Two Kentucky KM950s that got away.

I had watched a pair of KM-1000s drop to an oh-so tempting price, but as soon as one sold, the other one went back to closer to the typical MAP, though still lower, considering supply at the time. Anyway, it seems like that's what they do - probably the get better price when there's more than one left.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Ah, but without the one(s) that got away, you risk having neither anything to keep looking for nor knowing when you find it should you be so lucky!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

You can also set up notifications for ebay and reverb to send you any new listings or price drops for whatever models. Once in awhile I'll notice a really mispriced (low) instrument
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Do these price reductions happen on all Amazon sites, or just Amazon USA?

A follow up. Well sure enough another KM950 showed up on the Amazon.ca site. It listed at 1800 Canadian. After two or three weeks it went to 1300. I told myself that if it went below a thousand I would nab it. It did and I got it for 970 (about 770 US). I realize going on about a bargain can be obnoxious but I wanted to alert others. Is that the last or will another appear? Don't know.

I'm on holiday so it went to my brother who sent me some pics. (I can't get rid of the repeated image.) Can't wait to play it when I get back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 8.07.48 PM.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	195346
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E963EFA0-631A-4042-9039-EB638C593698_1_201_a.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	195345  
    Cary Fagan

7. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Congratulations. Now all you need is one more mandolin. ;-)

Thanks, Bob. Three isn't enough? An F5, an A5 and an A4? Don't encourage me!
    Cary Fagan

Amazon's gotten sneaky, there's a km1000B (black top) for $1500 US but you can't see it after you've searched for "Kentucky mandolins" unless you click on a out of stock listing for a km1050.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Just thought I'd let people know that another KM950 has appeared on Amazon Canada. Right now the price is 1630. Canadian (already a good price) but it might go down. I'm very happy with mine. It was pretty tight and dry at first but it has really warmed up.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...deal-on-KM-950
    Cary Fagan