Thread: Tuner Buttons - Ovation Celebrity MC - 149

Default Tuner Buttons - Ovation Celebrity MC - 149

I have an Ovation Celebrity 148 which I use occasionally as a stage mando and sounds really good through a Behringer Acoustic Amp. When I took it out of its case the other day one of the tuner buttons fell off - it was cracked. I've also spotted another on the way out too. I really don't know what type they are or where to start looking for replacements - all I know is that they are not the screw type. Can anyone help me out?

Default Re: Tuner Buttons - Ovation Celebrity MC - 149

Could you post a picture of the back of the headstock so we can attempt to identify the tuner brand?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have an '80's Ovation slot head 12 string with individual tuning machines. They have the Ovation profile bowlback logo but are actually made by Schaller. I got replacement ebony buttons from Stew-Mac and they fit perfectly.

You probably can glue them with super glue.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Could you post a picture of the back of the headstock so we can attempt to identify the tuner brand?
    Hi thank you _ I should have thought of this. A picture paints a thousand words etc. Neil

Thank you all by the way for your courteous and helpful replies. Are Stewmac still going - they are not answering phone or email?

Thanks Kevin - I was going to do that - but it seems that they are turning to dust - very fragile and will not hold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5447.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	194919  
    Last edited by Mandolin Jack; Jun-28-2021 at 2:51pm. Reason: Update

Thanks for the picture. First things first, these are worm over tuners. One of the two things you need to know. The second thing we need to verify is the post spacing. They should be somewhere near 23.01 mm center to center (.906 inches). If they are then you are looking for a set of worm over A style tuners in gold. Honestly by the time you chase the button repair problem you have the new set of tuners will probably look a lot better to you.

If you feel up to the challenge of replacing the buttons only then Stewmac does sell buttons that may or may not fit. The Schaller buttons can be superglued onto a shaft assuming the bore is correct but they will be ivoroid and not faux pearl like your current buttons. They are here. Stewmac also sells Grover A style tuners in gold. I'm not completely sure they will stay within the confines of that headstock. Check the measurements on the Stewmac page here.

The other option would be to try and find a similar product in gold. AllParts sells a few different A style tuners in Gold. One set is here.

You can also try other online resources. The main thing to watch is the post spacing and the worm gear orientation.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you all for your generous replies - I went for the buttons despite being ivoroid. Its kind of frustrating as it took wa while to get them and then the bore is too big for the pegs. Also 2 of them are different in size and colour (slightly) and have 2 different size bore holes on each side. I'm a little confused.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5574.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	195356
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5573.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	447.3 KB 
ID:	195357