Thread: Another odd Mandolin needs ID

Default Another odd Mandolin needs ID

Hi Folks,

can anyone ID this Mandolin from the very odd tuners it has ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4947.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	194915

Name:	IMG_4946.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	194914

Name:	IMG_4948.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	194917

Name:	IMG_4943.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	194918

Name:	IMG_4945.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	194916

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Another odd Mandolin needs ID

Possibly European??

The tuners are certainly highly unusual. The case is Italian, I had one of those. Most likely this instrument was made in Catania, they didn't hesitate to experiment there. The tailpiece is likely to be made in Germany by "Cid". They were used by Puglisi and other makers. Even Calace had them on some models. Attached are the pics of the tailpiece from my Roman Puglisi, which appears to be the same. Some Puglisi instruments didn't have a label, but they had their logo embossed on the inner side of the top. If you have an access to the mandolin in question it would be the first thing to inspect.

Name:	IMG_20210629_102337.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	194921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210629_102432.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	194922
    Last edited by vic-victor; Jun-28-2021 at 8:53pm.

Thanks for the info. I've posted for a friend who isn't a Member, so haven't seen it. The tuners and headstock are clearly made for one another and the strings take a strangely sharp angle as they leave the nut. Very odd. The Headstock reminded me of this kind of thing :

Name:	Unknown.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	194926

5. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

The rusty latches on the case make me think of Reliance of the UK- 1930s- as does the internal colour. If you clean the latches you may see some markings. I think the mandolin is definitely European but as for its origin- Catania has been mentioned and that seems probable and worth exploring.

It is never a good idea to assume the case was original to the instrument, unless there is a label of a maker on the case (Vinaccia comes to mind, they supplied beautiful cases (probably as an extra option) with their name embossed in gold on red lining of the case inside) or there is a verified information (Gibson, for example). The trade of musical accessories was very much international in the beginning of 20 century. I would't be surprised if the latches or the whole case of the instrument in question were made in the UK. I had a Stridente that came from Italy to Australia (it had an old shipping label attached with a steamer's name) in a case just like that. But the truth is that the case can be added, changed or parted with the particular instrument anytime.
    Last edited by vic-victor; Jun-29-2021 at 6:43am.

I agree entirely that the case does not prove anything although it may be original and just tells you that the instrument wa possiblys retailed new in that country- which may well be the UK for this mandolin. I have a Harmony guitar with an Australian made case- it came with Australian editions of the Nick Manoloff guitar tutors. It also has some railway shipping labels from the 1940s for British railways on it. Thus I know, it was made in Chicago in 1940- as per the date stamp and made its way to Australia- probably during WW2- acquired an Australian made hard case and came to the UK in the late 1940s- so it has traversed the globe. It has had an interesting life but in the case, I found the wrappers for Gibson Mona jumbo guitar strings- and its neck is like a banana- it is a piece of junk but its Australian case was of interest over at Steve Kirtley's Facebook case site!

9. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post: