Thread: Gibson K1 mandocello bridge string spacing

Default Gibson K1 mandocello bridge string spacing

I thought I would ask if anyone knows what the string spacing would be for Gibson K1 mandocello bridge. I don't have an original to go by. When I bought this K1 it had an archtop guitar bridge that someone added slots to. Of course it is not quite right having work around the six guitar slots. I would like start with a non slotted bridge and add the slots in the right locations.

Thanks

Default Re: Gibson K1 mandocello bridge string spacing

The bridge slotting should be a direct factor of the neck dimensions. Use the fingerboard edges as your guide and space the bridge so that you have the desired amount of clearance from the edges of the board and fret ends for the outside positions. Different ways of dressing the fret ends will also necessitate different clearance. The string to string spacings can vary widely depending upon a player's specific needs and style, so lightly lay them out and pick what you are comfortable with.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

3. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

tree 

Default Re: Gibson K1 mandocello bridge string spacing

Thank you for the advice. I think I will start with an un-slotted archtop bridge saddle and follow your advice to determine the best spacing.

5. The following members say thank you to Hearth_man for this post: