Thread: 1925 H1 Mandola

Default 1925 H1 Mandola

I added this 1925 H1 mandola to the tribe, while cosmetically diminished, the tone and playability match the other two, looking forward to creating with this group. I suppose a nice Black K2 would round out the quartet nicely.
    It does have one tuning button missing, i managed to fit one on from an other set ( not sure the brand) and its holding with pressure only, anybody got any surefire fixes for missing tuner buttons on a 1925 Gibson H1?
    Side note the seller included a plastic bag full of crushed celluloid pickguard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-gibsons-sm.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	194948
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1925 H1 Mandola

Congrats! I'm always in favor of the way an instrument sounds more than how it looks. If you've seen photos of my instruments - and myself - you'd understand that immediately.

Curious about one thing. That straight-across logo - was that standard at this time? I don't recall seeing that before, just the slanted logo.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Well I Wouldn't say it looks that bad, but it doesn't look good ( well, in a rustic weather worn sort of way, its a thing of exceeding beauty) as for the logo, I will leave that to more astute historians if we can get them to answer ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Very nice. I have a 1916-1917 H-1 myself.
    Have you noticed that the beat up old mandolins (and mandolas) seem to sound better than the same make, model, and year, that are more like museum pieces? Back when Buffalo Brothers was still in business (it was 2005) I went in to look at an A-1 in pristine condition that they advertised, but I just didn't take to the sound. Behind the counter they had a beater: a cigarette burned, pick guard missing, scratched up, and very smelly A-1. They were asking way more than I thought it was worth, but I thought I'd play along with their little joke and play it.
    I left the shop with Stinky. It sounds magical and it still gets more play time than any other instrument I own.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

5. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

Does anyone out there own a black top H1 mandola (with a truss rod) that has some lovely little blue flowers that were painted on the top underneath the pickguard area? I bought that back in the 1970's at the original Mandolin Bros. store on Bay Street on Staten Island. I would love to buy that one back for sentimental reasons...

Sorry Glassweb, anyway this one is not for sale- I put a set of Curt Mangan's on, holy miss moley, nice nice tone.
    Jack Roberts - True - it seems wear on these old Gibson's just brings out the best in tone, where as neglect seems to diminish it, I guess they love to be played more than sleep in a case.
    I think 20 and earlier was before lacquer - the technique being to stain and then varnish ( the skill), seems modern lacquers do not sound the same as varnish over dye.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post

Curious about one thing. That straight-across logo - was that standard at this time? I don't recall seeing that before, just the slanted logo.
    I recently sold a ‘24-‘25 snakehead and a ‘29 ‘cello: both had the logo straight across.